Do I have to drink only 2 oz every 15 minutes?

BREAZA
on 4/29/13 4:16 am
VSG on 04/24/13

My surgery was on 4/24/13 and am on Day 6 post surgery. I'm having a hard time getting enough calories and protein in and was wondering if I am only allowed to drink 2 oz every 15 minutes or can I just continue to sip until I feel I cannot take in anymore. Of course I have to listen to the signs such as hiccups, runny nose, etc. to stop, but wasn't sure if it's a rule to only drink no more than 2 oz every minutes or can I just sip, sip, sip?

Jackie T.
on 4/29/13 4:20 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

First always follow what your surgeon's office said.  I have never heard to only drink 2 oz every 15 minutes.  You need to drink what is comfortable for you but keep drinking.  You were just sleeved so keeping hydrated at this point is the most important thing.  I don't know if you will get the signs you talked about with liquids but I have always been told to sip, sip, sip.

Welcome to the losers bench!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

MomofMarch
on 4/29/13 4:21 am - GA

I did the 2 oz every 15 mins for the first week. Now that I know where that "too much" line is, I can actually gulp. Until you get to where you have healed and can feel the restriction, I highly suggest sip sip sip. That's the easiest way to get in your fluids. :)

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

BREAZA
on 4/29/13 4:27 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Thank goodness because at this rate I'll never get the necessary liquids in. LOL I'm just going to sip, sip, sip until I feel the restriction. I'm just really concerned because I only got in about 200 calories yesterday and 40 gm of protein and while I'm waiting those 15 minutes I know I could be drinking more.

MomofMarch
on 4/29/13 5:56 am - GA

lol Well, with liquids, we don't really feel restriction. Like said below, they're more concerned with gulping down an 8 oz glass of water all at once. I was told no more than 8 oz an hour for the first week. During my first week, I was only on clear liquids, so I know I wasn't getting in the calories. Once you start moving onto full liquids and mushies, then you will start to feel a bit of restriction and will start getting in calories.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Ihearttennis
on 4/29/13 4:24 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I had my surgery on Wednesday too, so we are sleeve sisters!  I am sipping all day long and pretty much have a glass with me at all times. I am doing my best to drink at least one bottle (20oz) of Isopure a day because it is 40 grams of Protein.  I find the grape flavor better than the pineapple and you can buy them at Smoothie King in the refrigerator section.  Hope you are doing well. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

BREAZA
on 4/29/13 4:29 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Hi Sleeve Sister! I keep hearing about Isopure and will go look for that today. Hope to follow your progress. :)

pharmergirl
on 4/29/13 4:44 am
VSG on 04/04/13
I followed the rule of one ounce every 10 minutes. Then after a week I started shortening the time to 7minutes then 5 minutes, etc. I wasn't allowed anything bu****er for a week after surgery though, so I didn't get any protein at all during that time. I am about 4 weeks out and I can drink water normally now. Early on I would set my timer to drink and it literally took me all dang day to get in the minimum 64oz.
BREAZA
on 4/29/13 6:34 am
VSG on 04/24/13

WOW only water for a whole week?! You must've felt super tired and weak. Yeah I'm finding it hard to get in my protein AND 64 oz of liquids so that I don't dehydrate. I guess this is all a normal part of the process right after surgery, but glad it gets better! :)

ParisGirl
on 4/29/13 6:48 am
VSG on 04/25/13
Definitely check out Isopure. I've been home 3 days now and I've managed to get 65 grams of protein & 60-70 oz of fluid every day.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views