saying goodbye to a frienemy......

grayC
on 5/4/13 11:24 pm
VSG on 05/01/13
Today I am 5 days out....
I am still learning how to work my sleeve and get in all the protien and fluids...
It's getting better everyday...
I have to say yesterday was the first day I caught myself "mourning" food..
It was a stupid dunkin donuts commercial for an egg sausage breakfast sandwich
( something I NEVER ate pre-sleeve BTW)
I then started to notice all the food commercials on TV.
As I went to Bed last nite, I was thinking about all the foods I will no longer eat..
And my subconscious came alive and started yelling at me...where has eating all that CR@P gotten you...fat and very unhealthy that's where...you have eaten everything your thinking about now a MILLION times before, it NEVER needs to pass your lips again....my whole reason for this surgery was that I was slowly killing myself with food, and I decided ENOUGH I'd like to see my sons married and with children of their own and doing what I was doing was only get me In An early grave...
I woke up today feeling great..renewed and focused, I also got on the scale ( I was going to wait until my first post-op w/the Dr. But I did it anyway....
8 POUNDS GONE!!, since surgery 5 days ago AND 1 POUND til ONEDERLAND!!!
If that ain't incentive.....I don't know what is!!
I also had a NSV...my wedding band that hasn't fit me in 3 yrs now fits and comfortably!!
So goodbye my frienemy food...you NEVER loved me..you only distracted me from my problems, and always made me feel " less than" everyone else...
It has taken 46 yrs but now I know it's not a sin to help yourself, it's not vain, or self absorbed...it is right and it is true...to love yourself opens yourself to love others around you...
Have a happy Sunday VSG'ers

missthingg
on 5/4/13 11:53 pm - memphis, TN
I'm pre-op and I kind of feel this way. I said the same thing to myseld. Girl you have eaten the wrong foods all your life, it's time to let it go! Just let it go lol. I find myself more yearning for food and to be full than anything because on this pre-op diet you rarely feel full.
grannymedic1
on 5/5/13 12:04 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

It helped me to think of the fact that those foods were not something that were necessarily gone forever, just postponed. By postponed I mean that there had to be a long time where they were not in my best interest to have at all. Later, if I chose they could maybe be a rare treat. On the other hand, if I needed to decide that they could never be a part of my life I could decide that later. If I had told myself, at the beginning, that never, ever was the only choice I could not have continued. That is just me. I was very strict until I lost my weight then relaxed a little too much. Finally I found my way to what works for me and allows me to keep the weight off. This is a journey that lasts for life, you need to eventually find something you can live with for life. For me that meant not projecting what I was doing to lose weight into the indefinite future. I was willing to continue to live with out those foods if I needed to, though. Some do, some don't. Just don't torture yourself over it right now. Relax and enjoy the journey, it is a wild ride but one that is most worth it, no matter the cost.

Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

lucy2e
on 5/5/13 8:04 am - Laurel, MD

When I was really early out, I would often watch food fest type shows like Man vs Food - I think I did it because seeing people eat so much made me totally not want any of that bad stuff, it was therapeutic. It didn't disgust me, just turned me off to the food.  

The beginning is the hardest, most emotional part.  It passes quickly though.  

Good luck!!!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Imakitekat
on 5/5/13 10:45 am - ID
VSG on 09/23/13
Hi

That was really well written and well said. I haven't had my sleeve done yet but you nailed the part about killing yourself with food, "you never loved me you only distracted me from my problems", that's a good way to think about food as a distraction. Thanks for sharing this and helping me to look at food in a new perspective.

Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views