Weird Back Pain

ccchanel
on 7/4/13 6:14 am

Hi all,

I am 7 days post op and for the most part, I have been doing well.  I walk everyday for about 30 minutes; I get all my liquids in and working on getting at least 70 grams of protein in (I haven't reached that goal yet).  With all that said, I have this strange ache in my lower back every time I drink or eat.  I thought it was because I was drinking cold liquids, but I realize the pain comes when I drink hot liquids as well.  Have any of you every experienced back pain after your surgery?  Please comment, I need your feedback. Thanks.

Oh and by the way....Have a happy and protein filled 4th of July holiday!!

Ohiogirl
on 7/4/13 6:38 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12

I am nine months out from surgery and I still have that back pain - lower right side and it worsens whenever I eat or drink, worse at times - depending on how full I feel.  I have been examined and x rayed - nothing showed - so MRI is next.  I remember mentioning it to the surgeon in the hospital post op and everytime I go  fro check ups - PCP - she is finally sending me for MRI.  We'll see but I'm betting it has something to do with a nerve that was inflamed or cut during surgery.

Hopefully - your pain will resolve quickly - good luck.

Paula

ccchanel
on 7/4/13 6:49 am

Thanks Paula, I hope your pain is resolved soon.

teachren
on 7/4/13 8:05 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

Yup! I'm 6 weeks out and it started for me about a 3 weeks ago. The first time I noticed it was when I tried to drink a small coffee. It was like a dull pain on my lower left side kinda under my shoulder blade. I still get it occasionally and usually it is only when I drink a coffee (which I rarely do as a result) but I have had it a few other times.

I don't think it's a big deal...likely just swelling or something the stomach doesn't like.

Great work on getting your liquids in...don't worry...you'll get the protein  in as soon as you can eat a little more food. I don't have any trouble any more.

ccchanel
on 7/4/13 8:11 am

Thank you., Yes the pain is so weird, I honestly do not have pain anywhere else. it's good to know that it's something that will go away probably with time.

lil1inside
on 7/4/13 8:39 am
VSG on 07/10/13

When my husband had the bypass, he had a similar pain and it hurt worse that any other pain he had.  He mentioned it to the doctor and they checked some things out, but we believe now that it was a nerve pull.  It went away and he had no problem (thank goodness) later.

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

ccchanel
on 7/4/13 9:01 am

Thank you for the info.  It's good to hear your husband is feeling better.

lil1inside
on 7/4/13 12:46 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

Definitely keep telling your doctor about this just in case.

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

ccchanel
on 7/5/13 2:13 am

yes I will, I have an appt. next week.

gloria P.
on 7/4/13 9:58 pm - Fayetteville , AR
VSG on 01/06/12
So many bariatric surgery patients have gallbladder issues. Best to talk to your doctor and let him know your symptoms. Really could be anything. Uti, strained muscle, kidney stone. Bet it's that gallbladder though. Ugh.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 150 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 423 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views