Realistic Goals and Walking post surgery in the hills? - VSG Surgery Wednesday 7/17

Mommydoo
on 7/12/13 2:47 am - OR

Hello - I am wanting to set some weighloss goals for post surgery.  My surgery is this coming Wednesday - I have been meeting with a PA and she did not give me goals.  When asked they just told me a BMI around 25 is considered not to be overweight.

So I thought I would go to the experts - all of you!

I am 5'4" and my highest weight was 308, I am currently 271.6.  I want to know what is realistic to loose in the first month, and then on.

I was thinking of a first month goal of 30 pounds - is that way to high or is that realistic.  I  have seen on this sight people that loose 100 in 2, 3 4 months so I am just wondering what the normal goal set is.

Also, when can I start walking in my neighborhood - I asked the PA and she said she would have to ask the surgeon.  Of course I have not heard back and again my surgery is Wednesday.  Our entire neighborhood is made up of hills.  There is not a single flat area - so will I be able to walk this immediately or is a wait necessary.  Will I just need to walk around the house immediately post surgery. 

Any further explanation of the walking/exercise immediately following surgery would be great and goal setting advice appreciated

Thank you all!! :)

Highest Weight: 308  Pre-Op Weight: 268 ~ Surgery 7/17/13         

Anne64
on 7/12/13 2:52 am
VSG on 06/19/13

My personal opinion is that your goals should focus on staying on plan.  Then, the weight will take care of itself.  Everyone had a different experience with the scale, some are steady losers, some are stair step losers, some are just slow.  Who know what you will be!  But, what you can control is what you ingest and what activity you do.

My advice, for the first week it is all about liquids...getting in as much everyday as you can so you don't dehydrate.  Once you have that under control it is all about Protein.  As far as activity, My surgeon wanted me walking asap...as in, as soon as I was out of my drug induced stupor which was about 7 hours after I went into surgery.

You will likely get information about what to intake from  your Dr or nutritionist before surgery or immediately after.

Does any of this helpful?

Anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

themexcellentone
on 7/12/13 2:58 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I think Anne64's reply is a good one--focus more on staying on plan rather than a set amount to lose in a certain period of time.  That first week (where I am now) post-surgery, your concerns should be getting in your fluids to stave off dehydration, moving as much as you are able to prevent clots and get rid of gas, getting as much protein in as you are able, and pain management.  These have been the things I have worked on this week (my surgery was Monday).  So far, so good.

I will worry about the scale once I'm out of the woods this week and feeling more like myself. 

Also, everyone loses at a different rate so it is hard to say what an average loss per month is.  Some people do lose about 100 pounds in the first 3 months, some only lose 50 and some lose less than that.  How much is lost is dependent on so many factors so it is hard to say how much you could lose in that time.

Worry about sticking to your plan, and setting goals/milestones that don't involve the scale and the weight loss will take care of itself.  Good luck to you...this is a great thing you are doing for yourself!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

gonna-be-sexy-nana
on 7/12/13 4:19 am - CO
VSG on 09/30/13

what pain issues are you still having??

Phyllis

themexcellentone
on 7/12/13 4:35 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

The largest incision I have is still sore and makes rising from sitting and laying down difficult.   It hurts exactly where my doctor said it would.  I also still have fleeting gas pains, but those are improving by the day.  Other than that, none of my other incisions hurt.  in fact, they have begun to itch, which tells me they're healing, so now I have to fight the urge to scratch at them!

gonna-be-sexy-nana
on 7/12/13 5:03 am - CO
VSG on 09/30/13

I would like to friend you but it says you do not exist??

Phyllis

themexcellentone
on 7/12/13 5:25 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I exist but my profile is private. :)  I sent you a friend request.

claimmaster
on 7/12/13 3:01 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I agree with Anne.  You have no control over what you lose in a month, so making that a goal is kind of moot.  My first goal was to walk a mile circuit around my apartment complex.  I accomplished that this morning, and my reward is a new pair of shoes!  My next goal is to walk an hour a day for a month and go to yoga twice a week during that time.  Then I will reward myself again and make a new goal.  My job is to stick to plan.  The weight will come off when it's ready to come off.  My long term goal is a walking/hiking trip to Italy next fall.  I need to get in shape to do that, so that's what I'm working towards.  Make your goal something that YOU have control over.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Joy M.
on 7/12/13 3:17 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I have no advice because I'm still a month out from surgery but good luck and ill be joining u soon! 

datachick
on 7/12/13 3:29 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Ditto what everyone else said.

My original goals:
   1) Stick to my food plan
   2) Log food into MFP every day, no matter what or how much I eat
   3) Work out regularly and as hard as I can depending on how physically able I am at the time
   4) Take my vitamins regularly
   5) Attend our WLS support group regularly

My current goals:
   1) Stick to my food plan
   2) Log food into MFP every day, no matter what or how much I eat
   3) Work out regularly and as hard as I can depending on how physically able I am at the time
   4) Take my vitamins regularly
   5) Attend our WLS support group regularly

And lookie here! I made it to 140 lbs today!!!

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views