Calories - Do you add vitamin and subtract exercise calories?

Christine O.
on 7/13/13 11:57 am - OR
VSG on 07/05/13

Just wondering what everyone else does. I'm full liquids so my vitamins are adding 70 calories a day. Does everyone track this? And do you subtract your exercise calories and allow yourself to eat the difference?  Just wondering cause if I ignore the exercise, my calories are around 650, but if I count those negative calories my totally is more like 350 and I'm not sure if that is good or not. 

HW 309 ~ SW 267 ~  GW 149 ~ Early pre-op: -28; 1 wk pre-diet: -14; M1: -21, M2: -15; M3: -16

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/13 12:14 pm - Melrose, MA
VSG on 03/11/13

I count every morsel that goes into my mouth, including vitamins and supplements. 

While I do love when I burn lots of calories from exercise and I do record this, I never eat the difference. So in our situation, I would say you ate 650 calories and I would not eat the burnt calories. 

Marley M.
on 7/13/13 1:15 pm - Brooklyn, NY
VSG on 07/19/12 with
I track vitamins but do not subtract exercise cals

HW 316 SW 310 GW 170-175                    

mrsfrogdr
on 7/13/13 1:38 pm

I don't do either.  The only exception would be if  I decided to run a half marathon or participate in a triathlon.  While that is very unlikely for me, we have had some full blown athletes on our boards. For some one putting themselves in a very negative calorie deficit through strenuous training, additional calories would be crucial.

Big Frog Kisses,           
 DAWN   

sleevegirl
on 7/13/13 3:32 pm - Austin, TX

For the first year, I tracked vitamins, but when I went to tablets, I stopped bothering with that, to be honest. It was just overkill for me after a while and was making me nuttier than I already was.

When I was exercising on a regular basis, I did eat back some of the calories. If I didn't, I felt really awful. I just listened to my body and what it needed that day. Sometimes I didn't need it and sometimes I did.

Always ask yourself if it's a real need or a mental need though.

Also, I have been doing this for two years. I knew, going in, that I was going to have a long road, so I made adjustments as I went along. I think being in a severe calorie deficient for too long isn't good for your body. Six months to a year would be fine, but I knew I was looking at 2+ years because I had a lot to lose AND I knew I'd have bumps along the way and needed to learn how to eat for the rest of my life. I've looked at this as a true lifestyle change, not just a diet.

And that's not lip service. I made that true commitment.

Your mileage may vary and do what your surgeon says :) Of course.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

MacMadame
on 7/13/13 5:02 pm - Northern, CA

Dang, what kind of vitamins are you taking that they add that many calories?!

As for exercise calories, there really is no such thing. To your body, everything you ask it to do is Work and it all burns calories. Going for a walk as a "workout" is no different to your body than walking around the mall shopping, for example. So to count one as "exercise" and to treat the calories burned doing that as "special" calories that much be kept track off or replaced only by eating food (vs. burning fat stores) doesn't really make sense.

As another example, I used to train for Ironmans. I had days where I do things like go on 6-8 hour bike rides. At the end of the day I'd end up burning 2000-2500 calories. Then I injured myself. So now I can't do that. Instead I volunteer at races. A volunteer gets to stand around and help people and run around running errands and sometimes carry things and set things up. And, at the end of the day, I often up end burning 2000-2500 calories!

But the people who want you to count exercise calories would have a cow if you suggested that volunteering was exercising. What they don't understand is that "working out" and "exercise" are societal constructs. The body only knows "muscles are being exerted" not what the activity is labeled.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Christine O.
on 7/13/13 5:48 pm - OR
VSG on 07/05/13

Thank you all. This has been very helpful. I'm grateful that so many vets chimed in. 

As for exercise, given my past exercise habits, I won't be surprised if I end up turning into a pretty serious athlete. But for now ill just keep on ignoring my little post-op "exercise" walks. 

As for the vitamins - it's the chewable stuff. That all has quite a few calories, especially those calcium chews. Once I leave the chewable behind ill stop tracking that stuff. 

HW 309 ~ SW 267 ~  GW 149 ~ Early pre-op: -28; 1 wk pre-diet: -14; M1: -21, M2: -15; M3: -16

A. Kondrlik
on 7/13/13 9:23 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I don't count my vitamin/supp calories,  I figure they are going to be a constant so too much overkill to count and worry about.

I do not "count"exercise calories, I figure the calories I burn are a bonus.  But that being said, if you exercise strenuously on a regular basis  you may need to add some calories in, if you are feeling weak or your performance is stalling.  Everyone is different,.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Nancybefree
on 7/13/13 9:55 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

I do include vitamins and supplements in my daily food log because I track everything I eat and drink.  My calciums add up to 16 calories per day, which in my WL stage is significant IMVHO.  Another reason is that by logging them I know I took them that day, which is helpful in that my surgical team and I are still looking for an optimal level in a couple of my lab results.

I do not subtract exercise calories.  One reason for that is that I think it's too subjective.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

jenn227
on 7/14/13 12:05 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

I do track everything I put in my mouth, so I do have extra calories from my vit's and also from the fiber I have been taking 2x's a day.  It was freaking me out a bit at first, but I am tracking them more to be able to print out my diaries and show my NUT what I am eating/consuming every day & I don't worry if my cal's have gone up a bit due to them.

I also track my exercise every day, but I always ignore the calories that MFP tells me I'm "allowed". I have increased my total cal's during the last few weeks, based on my NUT's recommendations, but I am not eating my exercise calories.

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views