Lets talk Birth Control... sorry guys!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 7/13/13 10:19 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I had my first iud after my second child. Had it removed because we were planning number three and was pregnant within a month. I also heard the same. It didn't affect my fertility but indeed I would speak with the obgyn as to what would be the most appropriate method for you. Why is the pill not reliable btw? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

GreenisLove
on 7/14/13 3:48 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

My surgeon said because there is less space now in my stomach to absorb things that it is not as effective as it was before. Makes me sad because the pill was very good to me lol

Ms Shell
on 7/14/13 9:58 am - Hawthorne, CA
I am really confused because the job of the stomach is NOT to absorb so the pill was/is nevete absorbed in the stomach. Pills of every kinds are absorbed in the intestines which is why birth control pills are NOT recommended for RnY patients because they are rerouted and the area of the intestines that absorbs is bypassed.

As a VSGer our intestines are not touched so birth control pills are still a viable option for us. Since no birth control method is 100% effective the double up on contraception is recommended (ie 2 forms).

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

GreenisLove
on 7/14/13 2:02 pm - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

yea I was just going from what my surgeon told me because i completely agree with you.

VSG on 06/12/13
I'm in the same club. Hubby got the v back in 99; I am using it for period control, and it works well. My GYN said that because I don't need it for birth control, it can stay in if I am having no probs. she has recommended me for a longitudinal study.

Check with your doc on use prior to children. I had heard that for all iud's.

And, based on my experience, stay away from depo shots! I really think that is one reason I ballooned up!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Latse
on 7/14/13 1:38 am
VSG on 06/18/12

I got the plastic IUD after my daughter was born, and replaced it with the copper IUD 5 years later.  Only because I was trying to reduce the amount of hormones,  I had it in my head that the hormones from the IUD was causing weight gain, not my out of control eating and lack of exercise.  I have not had any problems with either of those options.  Due to you not having any children yet, I would suggest not getting the IUD only because of the small chance it goes through the uterus.  I don't know anything about the ring or implanton, do they still do depo shots? or would you run into a dosage issue like with the pills during the rapid weight loss right after surgery?

Good Luck!

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

GreenisLove
on 7/14/13 3:50 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I heard the depo shot causes MAJOR weight gain! I've also been reading the implanon is not as effective on over weight people. This is so frustrating lol! Almost ready to give up and keep shop closed haha

Esquared
on 7/14/13 4:32 am - CA
VSG on 06/06/13

I was on the pill before surgery - had to drop it a month before my surgery. I am still on the fence about what to do, but I am currently trying the ring and it's not too bad. We're also using a barrier method, so he can help out with that one... :) I was pitched Mirena, too - I will try it if this ring thing doesn't work out. I was also told I can go on the pill again after surgery, just to be especially careful not to miss a dose.

"I am what I am not yet." - Maxine Greene

defygravity
on 7/14/13 2:43 am - NE
VSG on 07/10/13
I'm a big fan of the Mirena IUD, as well. I got my first one after my last child in 2006 and had it replaced this past year. I haven't had a period since 2005 and I'm totally fine with it. Better living through chemistry.

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

Angie S.
on 7/14/13 2:50 am - ID
I use Nuva ring and I really like it. It is very little fuss and if you do decide you want babies, take it out and there is really no waiting. Things go right back the way they were.

~~Angie~~

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 236 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views