Lets talk Birth Control... sorry guys!

GreenisLove
on 7/13/13 3:10 pm - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

Hey guys! I'm trying to find an alternative to the pill since my surgeon says it is no longer a reliable method. My OBGYN is adamant about the ring, but I do not want to... I guess fuss with anything down there.  I was looking at Implanon, but some girls in my support group suggest the IUD. I'm 25 and was on the pill for 3 years and LOVED it. I do not have kids yet either. What are your guys' thoughts?

sleevegirl
on 7/13/13 3:17 pm - Austin, TX

I've only got experience with the pill and condoms (but that was MANY years ago, come to find out I'm latex sensitive - yeah, that's as uncomfortable as you can imagine!).

Anyway, the pill was great, but I went off of it before my surgery and I must say that my moods improved. If I had to have something now, I would probably check out the IUD.

(My form of birth control now is my hubby had a vasectomy, we're done with kids) and I had a uterine ablation to help with periods, which also makes your body unable to hold a pregnancy. I make him get tested every now and then to be sure he's still shooting blanks though! ;)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Shagdoll
on 7/13/13 3:30 pm
I had the IUD for 4 years & loved it. My period went away until I had my VSG then I got my monthly visitor again. Kinda frustrating but I could deal with it. The "wire" strings over time started to cut & irritate me so I switched to the Nexplanon about 6 months ago. It works great but I am spotting more than once a month. I'm just trying to give it time. I'm hoping I will adjust to it by the end of my 1st year.
Good luck!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

GreenisLove
on 7/13/13 3:33 pm - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I had read horror stories of the IUD and the wires cutting you. I think that and the idea of a foreign object there for a long time scares me. How bad is your spotting from the Nexplanon?

Shagdoll
on 7/13/13 5:16 pm
Well just when I thought I was having a "light" period for several days, it would go away then back for a week...

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Joy M.
on 7/13/13 3:55 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

I have had the iud twice for 3 years each, and currently have it. I don't have periods n I love it, however I wonder if having little to no period has been a reason for weight gain. 

sleevegirl
on 7/13/13 4:13 pm - Austin, TX

I also want to comment on your "sorry guys". I know you were being funny, but I just want to say that birth control is NOT just a woman's issue. Men are JUST as responsible and should take precautions as well. Plus it's something we should feel free to discuss. Birth control has always been a very open discussion with my husband and I and we both make sure that, whatever method we are using, we are both on board and remember it. Whether it was him reminding me about my pill or me saying "hey, grab the raincoat".

Also, some men might have insight from their partners that they could give as well. My husband is a teacher so works with a lot of women. The first time he chimed in on a breastfeeding discussion they were all surprised, but he was with me 100% when I had issues with nursing so he was able to give them a lot of insight on the subject based on our many MANY visits to a lactation consultant.

Don't discount the men's opinion simply because they have different equipment. LOL :)

Okay, that's a pet peeve of mine, had to get it out. No disrespect meant. I totally know you weren't serious, just wanted to point out... :) xoxo

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Donnab62
on 7/13/13 4:23 pm
VSG on 04/29/13

I had two pill pregnancies. One took and I lost one. That has been 28 years ago. My daughter has a copper IUD which causes her alot of cramping. She had it removed and got pregnant immediately. After she had Logan she got another IUD so the cramping couldn't be to horrible.

Donna

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 7/13/13 5:32 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Mirena plastic iud all the way!!! Considerably lessens periods as it releases a micro local progesterone dose so that the lining of the uterus doesn't build up as much. Have had the mirena for 14 years now. It gets changed every 5. Absolutely perfect for me. No cramping or any issues at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

GreenisLove
on 7/13/13 6:39 pm - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I've been reading its best to have it after you have children, I have not had any. So wondering if that would affect me much.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views