BIG NSV

Connie S.
on 7/19/13 4:09 pm - CA
VSG on 03/04/13
One of my main reasons for having surgery was my desire to do away with my CPAP. I was told it is possible I will never get off of it, but today I graduated to nasal pillows! 80 pounds ago, my AHI ( if you have sleep apnea you know what this is) was 57, which classified me as very severe, or, as I like to think of it, somewhere between REALLY SCARY and OH MY GOD!!!!!! Today my readings for the last month showed that my AHI is less than 5. Average of 4.4, with some nights as low as 2.8. This puts me in the none to minimal category. I plan to have another sleep study when I am done losing weight.
I am four and a half months post op, so I still have some weight to,lose and I just might be able to stop using the CPAP one of these days. I was a lightweight at 208 starting out and weighed in at 129.5 this week. I am thinking another 15 to 20 pounds is realistic. Wish me luck!
Oh yeah: did I mention I'm glad I had surgery?
claimmaster
on 7/19/13 6:58 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

Wow, 57?  I've never heard of anyone that high!  Congratulations on getting down so low.  Although I don't mind using my CPAP at all, it is a pain to have to carry when I travel and it would be nice to not have it anymore.  I'm hoping I can do the same after I lose the weight.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Connie S.
on 7/20/13 4:06 am - CA
VSG on 03/04/13
I hate traveling with it, too. Especially flying since I fell self-conscious about the extra carry on.
Sandy M.
on 7/19/13 10:33 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

That's GREAT news!  I don't mind my CPAP anymore, but like the previous poster, i sure wish i didn't have to travel with it.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Connie S.
on 7/20/13 4:08 am - CA
VSG on 03/04/13
I don't mind using it, but I hate for my husband to see me in it. He literally did not see me with it on in daylight until I was in the hospital postop. Which is stupid, I know. Like snoring is so sexy...
Tirza T.
on 7/19/13 10:41 pm
VSG on 01/17/12

I think my number was low like 6 or 7 and I was almost denied surgery because of it. When I went back to be fitted for a cpap and do a sleep study with the machine I had a panic attack. I didn't realize it had air directly blowing in your face. I couldn't do it I actually stopped breathing (self inflicted) because of the CPAP. They had to send me home. I have a weird phobia about strong winds (idk why) and this just freaked me out. I am glad you posted this because I probably should go do another sleep study and see if I still have sleep apnea.

BTW how did I make this about myself?....UGH

This is a wonderful NSV, I would just have peace of mind knowing you went from such a severe scary number to a minor one. Congrats on your NSV! Keep up your great work.

Female, Height 5'6"
HW&Surgeon Consult Weight: 330 lbs. SW: 294 CW:
Connie S.
on 7/20/13 4:09 am - CA
VSG on 03/04/13
You didn't make it about yourself. Just shared your experience.
themexcellentone
on 7/20/13 1:19 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

That's awesome!  My AHI was 113...I asked the RT "how am I still alive???"

I can't wait until I can get rid of my CPAP too!  Hope you are able to ditch yours soon.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Connie S.
on 7/20/13 4:12 am - CA
VSG on 03/04/13
Yikes! I have probably been one of the most compliant patients in the history of CPAP. I am irrationally afraid that I will die if I don't use it. (Yes, I already said I am irrational). I think of the damage that may have been done to my heart, brain, etc from years of untreated OSA and it really scares me. Good luck with getting rid of yours.
busboss1
on 7/20/13 1:42 am
VSG on 12/18/12

Good for you! Congratulations! Anytime you can get rid of a CPAP or medications is GREAT!! I was able to go off my cholesterol meds a couple of weeks ago so I understand your excitement. Keep it up. You are doing great and BTW, I'm glad I had the surgery too! :)

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views