Three years and holding!

KathyA999
on 8/11/13 5:02 am, edited 8/11/13 5:07 am

Yesterday was my three-year surgiversary.  And holy smokes, what a three year adventure it's been!  Before and after pix are on my profile.  

So first, weight.  Today I'm 139.8, just over 10 lbs below my goal weight.  I pretty much picked a goal weight out of the air; 150 was 9 lbs lower than I'd ever been as an adult but seemed reasonable.  But I actually reached an all-time low of 133, which took about 18 mos.  I drifted in the 130s for quite a while, then found myself up to 147 a few months ago, due to snacking.  Not on breads and sweets and such, but too much peanut butter (which does have carbs), nuts, sunflower seeds, popcorn, etc.  So I did the Whole 30, a 30-day paleo plan, got back down to 133, and have again drifted around in the mid-to-high 130s ever since.  I would prefer to be 135, but as long as I'm under 140 I feel "right" in my skin.  

Speaking of skin, I gots it, and lots of it!  I had surgery at age 60, and my skin has not "snapped back" in the least.  So at first I decided that capris and 3/4 sleeves would be the shortest, most revealing things I'd ever wear, and my extra skin would be my secret.  Then the weather got hot, LOL!  I've decided to heck with anyone who's put off by my flappy arms and drapy legs.  I wear sleeveless tops, bermuda shorts, I have been in bathing suits at the beach or pool without worrying, etc.  I just came back from a weeklong Windjammer sailing trip in the Grenadines, and I spent the entire time in sleeveless tops, shorts, and bathing suits. I could get plastics, but I'm not a fan of surgery and hospitals if I can avoid them, so I won't be going down that path.  

At this point, WLS is no longer the intense, all-absorbing, central fact of my life. But having the surgery, losing the weight, and MAINTAINING the loss, absolutely is the central fact of how I eat.  I stay conscious of what I eat, I follow a paleo-style plan most of the time (meat, veg, fruit, good fats, nuts, seeds, very low dairy, no grains or sugar).  Having spent all my life "under the influence" of sugar and wheat, this is a major about-face. I do use protein drinks or powder just about daily, and I keep SF pudding cups in the cupboard, and NSA fudgesicles in the freezer.  I just recently stopped journaling my food; we'll see how that goes and if I need to, I'll go back to it.  I weigh myself daily, and this is the biggest factor in keeping myself accountable. I continue to take vitamins and supplements, and I don't exercise although I should.  (Kids, don't follow my example about this!)  

A word about body image.  It's a funny thing.  I never had that disconnect that some people experience between their mental and mirror images after losing weight - I feel "right" at this size, and have from the beginning.  I think that's what a lot of the shame and embarrassment was about when I was 250 lbs - it wasn't only that I didn't fit the social "norm."  It was that it wasn't where I was "supposed" to be, even though I spent most of my life there. So when I look in the mirror, I don't feel surprise, just satisfaction.  

(However, invisibility is another thing.  We've all experienced the invisibility of a fat person in the world. But as a woman of 63, even normal size, I might as well walk down the street buck nekkid, no one would see me.  I thought being invisible in the world was all about being fat, and it probably was when I was 40, but at 63 I'm completely transparent, I guess.  I should be robbing banks; no one could give a proper description, LOL!)  

Even so, I like to dress well, in clothes that FIT, and are fashionable. And my definition of clothes that fit is very different these days - fitted tops, skinny jeans, etc.  I probably dress a little young (cute little faded denim jacket over a tunic, leggings and boots, anyone?), but I don't care. Shapewear is my best friend, because the one thing about extra skin that truly bugs me is the little roll around my waist.  Lipo-in-a-Box takes care of THAT!   I have to say, not too many downsides to this experience, all-in. The surgery and recovery were uneventful, thankfully, and I have no food intolerances.  My tastes have not changed; I still like and dislike the same things I did before. T

he only woe for me, and it's related to the extra skin, is a pinched butt.  The extra flappy skin on my butt gets pinched together when I sit, and I need to adjust often.  And then if the seat is hard my butt bones suffer.  In addition, I have pretty serious acid issues if I forget to take my PPI, and no issues at all if I take it regularly.  I take Protonix 20mg twice a day.   If those are my only negatives, I'll take em!  If anyone reading this is on the fence, my recommendation would be, go for it!  Don't wait till you're 60 like I did.   One last word - THANKS to all the great contributors on this board who went before me and paved the way.  I'm not on the boards as much these days as I was, but I "pay it forward" when I can.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

KathyA999
on 8/11/13 5:11 am

Edited to make sure the paragraphs work, sorry!  (Don't copy-and-paste from another source, LOL!)

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

stephanieplum
on 8/11/13 5:13 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Thanks for sharing your journey!  Congrats on all your success!

loverofcats
on 8/11/13 5:45 am

Congratulations on a successful 3 years!!  WLS has been such a wonderful gift!

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Miss150
on 8/11/13 6:22 am

Thanks so much for posting.  We are close in age, and I appreciate the things you said about body image and the extra skin.  i hope i can become as secure in mine as you report you are in yours.  Right now im at the 3/4 sleeve and croppped pants stage.  sometimes I feel like thoes characters in the movie, "Awakenings" - like i've missed the last thirty odd years of my life, and awakened at age 59 having missed all that went with so many years before, and I want those experiences- like turning a head or two- ha!  but, like you, I'm grateful for everything, and mostly happy In my body.  congratulations on 3 years.  well done.  

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Nancybefree
on 8/11/13 7:40 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Thank you so much for posting!  Congratulations on your three-year surgiversary AND AND AND for maintaining and figuring yourself out so beautifully.

For some reason I can't see your profile, but I'll bet you look as terrific as you obviously feel.  There are so many points in your post which resonate with me.

I'm 55yo now and was sleeved when I was a mere 54.5.  You are so right -- paraphrasing, better late than never.  I totally get you on the clothes issues, also.  I figure if Stevie Nicks is still dressing like  Stevie Nicks at age 65, we all have a little leeway there.  :)  I look forward to owning my first-ever denim jacket when I hit goal.   Bermudas and elbow-length sleeves have been serving me well this summer.  Maybe I'll be as brave as you someday. 

Re the excess skin, I'm another one who is probably not going to have plastics.  I figure that, if God let me survive the surgery and has let me work toward this truly marvelous recovery, I'm not going to mess around with any more elective surgery.  Being sleeved sort of falls into the category of necessary surgery for me these days, really. 

Well, congratulations again!  Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

gorditabonita
on 8/11/13 10:49 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Congratulations! And, thanks for posting. I love ready long-term success stories.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

starry957
on 8/11/13 1:26 pm

Great post - thanks for sharing!  I hear you on the skin - my arms are my biggest complaint...as much as I'd love to wear all of the pretty tanks, etc...I just can't make myself - longer short sleeves are all I wear - though I did wear a slightly shorter than usual sleeve the other day and just didn't lift my arms up at all...lol

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

frisco
on 8/11/13 1:59 pm

Great post !!!

Congrats on 3 !!!!

Love your term "Under the influence" !!!

I get azz pinch also......

Thanks for keepin it real !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MuttLover
on 8/11/13 9:53 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Congrats on your success, and thanks for sharing your story!  Wishing you all the best!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Most Active