What to expect after surgery?

jdp910
on 8/12/13 12:21 am

Hi!

I'm scheduled to have the gastric sleeve surgery in September. I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on what to expect after surgery- when you get home? What is your energy level like? Do you need to have someone home with you? How long before you actually start feeling good? I know everyone is different, but I'd like to hear from some of you what your experiences were.

Thanks!

Sandy M.
on 8/12/13 1:37 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

For the first 10 days or so, you're going to feel like taking 2 naps a day, and you should indulge that!  My surgeon recommended I have someone stay with me the first day home - I didn't, and didn't need anyone.  But if you plan to stay on pain meds (I stopped while in the hospital), you'll need someone handy to run errands for you since you can't drive.  

I started feeling good after about 4 days, and it only got better from there.  A month out is when I was given clearance for any physical activity (you can walk right after surgery, and should), and it was about that time that the incisions were completely healed. And of course, the more excess weight you lose, the better you feel!

Good luck to you!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

jdp910
on 8/12/13 2:07 am

Thanks so much!

stratusphr
on 8/12/13 2:15 am - Plano, TX
On August 12, 2013 at 7:21 AM Pacific Time, jdp910 wrote:

Hi!

I'm scheduled to have the gastric sleeve surgery in September. I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in on what to expect after surgery- when you get home? What is your energy level like? Do you need to have someone home with you? How long before you actually start feeling good? I know everyone is different, but I'd like to hear from some of you what your experiences were.

Thanks!

Telling you what to expect is like telling someone what it's like having a baby, but I'll give it a shot. I'll tell you what it was like for me!!

First of all, I had NO health issues, so maybe that is why I had no problems. That said, the first week I did not drive. For the first three weeks, I laid down in the afternoon and took a power nap for about 45 minutes. I do not work outside our home, so for me, this was possible....and nice! I used a heating pad for the first two week, during the day when I was sitting. I used Liquid Tylenol during the day, and for the first two weeks (ten days after discharge) I took a pain pill at night because turning over was uncomfortable. I was excited about this entire thing from the time I woke up in recovery.....I really have enjoyed every bit of this journey!!! My energy level increased daily. We were at my dad's house (we traveled to Dallas from out of state) - I walked around the house, did not want anyone waiting on me because I KNEW I needed to walk, walk, walk!!! It wasn't bad at all. Day four after surgery, we went to Wal Mart so I could walk around a little. It didn't take a lot to tire me out, but it was good. Week #2, we'd rented a beach house on the west end of Galveston. There was not better way to heal than be in the salty sea air and short walks on the beach. I could walk a little more every day, never a marathon but we'd go into town and walk a little, I'd sit and we'd walk a little more. Loved walking on the beach in the surf, never too far, but enough to get a little fresh air and exercise. I don't know if you MUST have someone at home, but it is NICE to have someone around. As far as feeling good, I am not sure what you mean. Like I said, I was excited and all from day one.....I never felt BAD. Sneezing or coughing was not comfortable, if you know it's coming......hold a pillow against your tummy!!! I felt better every day, but definitely more tired than normal. I NEEDED to rest and I did. I am sure this is as clear as mud, but maybe it will help a little!!!!

"Seas The Day"      

Dr. James Davidson - Dallas, TX

Surgery date: June 11, 2010

Goal reached: December 2010

Weight loss: 84 lbs

suzie2241
on 8/12/13 4:10 am
VSG on 11/02/12

I was lucky enough not to have too much pain after surgery. I also had to deal with Super Storm Sandy cleanup so didn't have time to nap; thankfully, most days, I didn't feel like it.

I slept in a recliner the first 10 days or so. It was difficult for me to lay down in bed or get up. My surgeon had put a drain in. Once he took that out (1 week post-op), the discomfit decreased a lot.

Be ready for the emotions!!! The roller coaster ride of emotions is overwhelming. I cried, I laughed, I cursed, I wondered what I did to myself.  It's all normal!! and passes.

I had a hard time getting my liquids in (on modified liquids 2 weeks post-op), but really try to get them in. I know liquids is the priority, so I tried to get the protein in too by drinking the shakes.

Don't buy too many shakes pre-op as your tastes may change drastically post-op. Mine did.

Good luck!

themexcellentone
on 8/12/13 5:59 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with
Here's a little bit about what my experience was immediately post-op:

http://laguerradelagorda.com/2013/07/10/sleeved-at-last/

And:
http://laguerradelagorda.com/2013/07/11/observations-from-a-new-sleeve-patient/

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Rhonda2013
on 8/12/13 7:58 am - Canada

I watched u tube and a lot of peoples stories and it scared the hell out of me. Now being almost 3 weeks post op there are just a few tips I can give because I haven't been on this journey long. Walk!...grab that iv pole as soon as you can and get out of bed! Do what you can but walk. I had assistance getting in and out of bed until I figured a way to do it myself. I was walking 8 hrs after my operation, I didn't go far but I got up and went! Home...it was different because I was use to doing everything for myself and now I can't. So my experience is walk around the house, go slow but walk. Fix a picture if it's crooked, walk on the porch for some air, get a refill on a drink, whatever you want to do while your up and slowly moving. I fell in love with my hubby's recliner and that's where I spent 10 nights sleeping. Liquid t3 and I was out like a light. When I was able to get in and out of the bed I propped a lot of pillows behind me which helped. Once I was able to sleep on my side I would put a pillow under my belly and roll onto it to support the weight of the belly. This reduces the pulling on the incisions. A week ago I started going for little walks around my area on trails. No hills but a flat path, and when I was pooped I turn around and head back to the car. Pooping is a chore so if you find your having a lot of problems ask if it's safe to use a stool softner. Finally, nap.....I'm taking advantage of this time off work, and I move and shake during the morning mostly so by afternoon I feel a bit drained so I nap for an hour or 2. I started feeling good around day 4, I just kept my mind positive and that helped a lot. Good luck Hun, I'm sure you will be fine!

Tammy V.
on 8/12/13 10:49 am - Alvarado, TX
Hi, I am being sleeved Sept. 16Th glad you asked these questions . !!
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 202 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 286 views