"Sleeve to bypass"

Missylaneous
on 8/27/13 1:23 pm - DE

I have heard this a lot throughout my process. The surgeon has stated more than once, "if there are issues" or "leaks" they will convert the sleeve to a bypass. The way it was said made me feel as if they are not yet confident in the sleeve (in my state anyway) or would be quick to revise. 

Has anyone else been told this or am I being overly paranoid/sensitive? 

pineview01
on 8/27/13 1:35 pm, edited 8/27/13 1:35 pm - Davison, MI

Sounds like your surgeon is more comfortable with the RNY than the Sleeve.  I would look for another surgeon that is confident with the sleeve and his ability to do it.  My daughter and sister both had a surgeon that was very pro sleeve and got the training to do it and they both have great sleeves.  The surgeon I had was taught by him, is very well versed with the RNY and I don't think he had as good a technique as their surgeon.  There was another surgeon with them that was doing the sleeve, with one of these two with him and was not a great believer of the sleeve as he felt the RNY was still the "Gold Standard" of WLS.  I wouldn't let him do mine even though he was a very great surgeon and did my band and did a great job.  I wasn't comfortable having him do a surgery he didn't believe in.

So what does he do when he has a leak with the RNY????

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

mickeymantle
on 8/27/13 1:37 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i was told that during surgery it was possible that the sleeve could not be done and a rny would be done , but that was a rare occurrence, 

if your doctor is already talking about the sleeve not working , I would ask her why and then go see a different surgeon

if the sleeve is done right and you can only eat 4 oz to start and around 8 oz after 1 year , and if you follow a good plan you have to lose weight ,assuming you don't cheat  and eat junk like ice cream , also assuming that you need to lose weight ( there are underweight people with mental health problems that think they need to lose weight , some weigh as little as 65 lb and think there fat)

Ity sounds like your surgeon does not like to do sleeves , they make more money doing rny, some don't make the sleeve properly and then have problems , I would go to a different surgeon if you want to get a sleeve

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

frisco
on 8/27/13 2:31 pm
On August 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM Pacific Time, mickeymantle wrote:

i was told that during surgery it was possible that the sleeve could not be done and a rny would be done , but that was a rare occurrence, 

if your doctor is already talking about the sleeve not working , I would ask her why and then go see a different surgeon

if the sleeve is done right and you can only eat 4 oz to start and around 8 oz after 1 year , and if you follow a good plan you have to lose weight ,assuming you don't cheat  and eat junk like ice cream , also assuming that you need to lose weight ( there are underweight people with mental health problems that think they need to lose weight , some weigh as little as 65 lb and think there fat)

Ity sounds like your surgeon does not like to do sleeves , they make more money doing rny, some don't make the sleeve properly and then have problems , I would go to a different surgeon if you want to get a sleeve

I beg to differ........

My surgeon makes his sleeve to have an early capacity of about 2oz. and mature to about 4oz. I'm coming on 4 years and I'm a little under 4oz. of soft protein and around 3oz. of dense protein.

A sleeve that starts out at about 4oz. "can" end up with of an eventual capacity of 8-16oz.(if the person constantly eats to full, pushing the limit)

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

themexcellentone
on 8/27/13 10:01 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with
I'm with Frisco here...my current capacity is a hair over 2 oz. I was told after a year it would max out at 4-6 oz. I'm good with that!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

TeacherSue
on 8/27/13 1:39 pm - Collinsville, IL

My thought exactly....the RNY can have leaks.

Missylaneous
on 8/27/13 1:44 pm - DE

EEK! You have all brought up very good points. My surgeon is the medical director and the first in my state to do the sleeve. But it is still not very popular. Then again, I live in Delaware. A small state. So our statistics are going to be based off a smaller pool. He's a nice man and answered my questions. But it sounds like I need to ask some more and really grill him on his preference to RNY.

I was told if there was a problem during surgery they would just go with a bypass. But with that I was told it was rare. Hopefully that doesn't happen. 

Thank you all! 

pineview01
on 8/27/13 1:51 pm - Davison, MI

Sounds like a plan.  They never mentioned there would be a possibility of ending with a RNY and I haven't met anyone at our center that came out with one.

Good luck finding a great VSG surgeon!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

howarli
on 8/27/13 11:24 pm - MD

You are not far from Maryland. I would recommend Johns Hopkins Bayview.  I had no complications and I'm almost 2yrs out.  I can probably eat about 4-6oz of dense protein.

sugartrail
on 8/27/13 11:29 pm - PA
Hello neighbor. DE, check out my dr he's done lots of these kinds of surgeries. He's done my close friend & will be doing mine on 9/19 - I'm excited about this new journey!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views