USING A CPAP WITH THE SLEEVE??

Metamorphosis1
on 9/3/13 12:50 am

I have severe sleep apnea and just had the sleeve done one week ago.  I was shocked at the hospital when I wasn't allowed to use my CPAP because of the pressure on my stoma*****ision.  However,  I was told I can use it now that I'm home.  I've been a little afraid and so have been cautiously using it.

Has anyone else been told that the CPAP can interfere with the healing of the stoma*****ision after a VSG??

Thanks so much!

:)

Christine Heusinger
on 9/3/13 12:55 am - GA

How odd! I was emphatically told to BRING my CPAP with me to the hospital!

In fact, they attached extra oxygen to my cpap the night I was in the hospital.

I had absolutely no problem whatsoever.

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

cappy11448
on 9/3/13 12:59 am

Hi,

I have severe sleep apnea as well, and I was able to use the CPAP in the hospital.  I was given no warnings about it affecting my recovery, and I didn't have any problems. 

Best of luck with your recovery.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

wantanewme
on 9/3/13 1:10 am
VSG on 04/22/13

I was told also to bring my cpap machine.The hospital even gave me extra air while at the hospital. I have used mine through out the whole processes. I was told it was important to keep using it. It helps me sleep, there fore you rest, and heal. Maybe you have a medical condition the rest of us don't?

Metamorphosis1
on 9/3/13 1:15 am

Thank you for your replies.  

I was told to bring it to the hospital as well.  I went for a preop appointment with internal medicine about 4 weeks before my surgery and they wrote on my forms that I MUST bring my CPAP to the hospital to have during recovery and hospital.  In fact, he stated that if I didn't have the CPAP ...I wouldn't be allowed to have the surgery.

It was literally when I was being wheeled into the operating room that the surgeon and anesthetist told me that I couldn't have the CPAP in the hospital but  could once I got home. They put me on oxygen in hospital but oxygen alone doesn't keep your airways open!    Thanks for your replies.  I  think I'll get  a better night's sleep tonight!  I don't LOVE my CPAP but  I LOVE the way I feel when I wake up in the morning. :)

Isn't it funny how different surgeons can be?  I think my doctor( whom I absolutely love and trust) was just being cautious.

Take care.  Best wishes  to you all on your journey. 

mimij
on 9/3/13 1:39 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I was instructed to bring my CPAP to the hospital and I did wear it each night after surgery with no problems. I don't think the CPAP would cause any more air insufflation than was already performed during the surgery. I still use my CPAP to this day after 96 lbs lost because I want to be cleared by my pulmonologist as opposed to taking myself off therapy. Good luck to you.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

mickeymantle
on 9/3/13 2:10 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my surgeon told me that my cpap had to be turned down below 10 so it would not hurt the sleeve , they had me bring mine to the hospital, but said I had to use there's , I didn't use ether because I slept  in the chair mostly and the cpap didn't reach

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

sillymilly
on 9/3/13 2:26 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I was told not to bring it to the hospital, and not to use it for 10 days following surgery.  It was confusing at first because when I talked to my surgeon prior to surgery, he said "no cpap".  Then from his office I went across the hall to do intake with the anesthesia dept. and they said "if you need a cpap bring it".  I brought it and left it in my car, figured that way everyone was a winner.  

When I was being released I wanted to be absolutely sure what to do, so I asked and the nurse said "no cpap for a while", the attending said "no cpap for a while", then he went and double checked with my surgeon who said "no cpap for 10 days".  They didn't say anything about it interfering with the incisions, they were concerned about letting my lungs recover from being under anesthesia.  (which seems odd, given anesthesia's advice of bringing the darn machine along).

Bottom line - I guess it's up to each surgeon what they do about cpap machines  Maybe some are overly cautious.   I did what my surgeon recommended and had no problems.  

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Jackie T.
on 9/3/13 4:24 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I was told to bring mine to the hospital but I used the oxygen off the wall instead.  I was in the hospital one night and have used the cpap every night since with no issues and I am 8.5 months out.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Mr-Smith
on 9/3/13 4:47 am - Hillsdale, MI

The hospital provided a CPAP for me, I couldn't bring one. However, my surgeon limited the pressure for two weeks or so even once i got home.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views