BC/BS of Texas

Debster72
on 9/20/13 11:24 am

If you have BC/BS of Texas what Surgeon did you use? (Dallas/Ft Worth area) I start a new job on Monday and my insurance don't kick in until Jan 1st but I am hoping they cover a revision from crap-band to Sleeve(does anyone know) what are the requirements that have to be met? The insurance co won't tell me anything due to the fact that my coverage don't technically start yet. What was your experience.

Scott S.
on 9/20/13 1:18 pm - TX
I don't know if they are in network, but I would recommend Dr. Danny Scott. He is at UTSW and they handle revisions and fix a lot of other challenges that come up.

VSG: 8/8/13 

Debster72
on 9/21/13 7:23 am

thank you

themexcellentone
on 9/20/13 1:42 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I have BCBSTX through TRS-Active Care.  My doctor is Nick Nicholson here in Plano.  I am not sure what your particular policy's requirements are, but my policy required a seminar, a surgical consult, and a $5000 bariatric co-pay.  There was no supervised diet.  I also had to have my surgery done at a Blue Center of Distinction.  As there are only two in the area (Baylor Plano and Presbyterian Dallas), my surgery was done at Baylor Plano since that's where Dr. Nicholson practices.  He also performs surgeries at Forest Park and Victory Medical Center.

Dr. Nicholson required me to have a sleep study, an upper GI, and bloodwork as well prior to surgery.  These were covered by my insurance; I just paid the co-pays for them.  Hope this is helpful.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Debster72
on 9/21/13 7:24 am

thank you so much! how long did it take you to get approved

themexcellentone
on 9/21/13 8:25 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with
After I had my seminar, sleep studies (I had to have 2), consult and psych eval, I was approved in a week. I had all the comorbidities too so that might have helped speed things along.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Tammy V.
on 9/20/13 1:43 pm - Alvarado, TX
Dr.Adam Smith with Fort Worth Lap Band. He just did my sleeve this past Monday he and his staff are great. He does revisions and all.
Debster72
on 9/21/13 7:28 am

thank you, I have heard od Dr, Smith, He actually works with the same company with my lap band Dr!

thanks for the info! Do you live in Fort Worth?

Debster72
on 9/21/13 9:03 am

Tammy, what hospital did you have yours in?

Tammy V.
on 9/21/13 1:55 pm - Alvarado, TX
I live in Alvarado, south of FTW. I was private pay . I too have BCBS Tx but my employer has clause to not cover any WLS . I had my surgery at Baylor Trophy Club and it was a great experience. I am 5 days post op, came home this wednesday.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views