Does your brain ever change to WANT to exercise?

Glow2182
on 10/14/13 4:11 am - WA

I have been trying to walk more and more prior to my surgery. While I always feel great afterwards (full of confidence and energy) I seem to always have to push myself to actually be motivated to take my walk for the day.

I know that all my life I have used food to help me feel good, but I am hoping that one day my brain will start turning to exercise for the feel good feelings rather than food.

What your experience with this? Do you think you really can retrain your brain? Will it always be so hard to motivate myself to get out there and exercise?

HW 505  SW 446  GW 200.       VSG Surgery on 1/22/14

Keith L.
on 10/14/13 4:14 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Yes, it sure does. I don't know exactly when the change over happened but it most certainly has. I would say probably when I started doing more intense interval training, about a month after that if I had to guess. I used to hate doing it but now this week I am booked for 5 classes at one place, plus my normal weight training and a circuit training class on Friday and I will do some HIIT running this week too.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

theladyelsie
on 10/14/13 4:22 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I'm watching the clock for 6:30 so I can go to the gym.  

I think you have to find what you like to do.  I will never like walking.  But I found I love to lift weights so I do that at the gym and if I get on the treadmill a little bit then that's just icing on the cake.  I also took a piloxing class and I LOVE IT.  So I look forward to doing those things because I enjoy them.  And I used to be an emotional eater so in a sense I feel like exercise has kind of replaced that and right now I just eat because I have to fuel my work outs.  

I, lately, am really starting to believe I can do anything.  There is a ton of power in habit formation and positive thinking.

ravenbrown
on 10/14/13 4:47 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I would always rather sit on my ass on my couch eating cupcakes than working out, and I've been a regular, consistent exerciser for years.  That said, I don't exercise for weight loss, I exercise for sanity.  It helps keep me off of anti-anxiety meds, makes me a much nicer person, gives me energy, etc.  The benefits far out weigh my natural laziness :)

claimmaster
on 10/14/13 5:05 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I think it depends on the person.  Once I get into shape and really start doing some heavy duty hiking (I love to walk and hike), I get so that I'm all excited about planning my next hike or walk.  I'm not always happy to stand up and head out the door, but once I do I'm ALWAYS happy that I've done it.  The endorphens are wonderful and addicting.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

kodomezhow06
on 10/14/13 5:08 am - KY

How you feel about exercise depends on on number of factors.  For me personally, I can't wait for work to end so I can get my work out on.  The exercise helps my sanity.  My job is very demanding and highly stressful, so working out helps me come back down and get all the bullsh**t out.  The added value of course is the weight loss but I am now noticing a transformation in shape of my body.  So, knowing that exercise and healthy eating habits impacts outcome of my health, well being, and my body is a win win which keeps me motivated.

cappy11448
on 10/14/13 5:28 am

I absolutely hated exercise, but when I started the weight loss surgery prep, I was told I had to exercise and I decided that if I was going to do something as drastic as removing over half my stomach, I was going to be compliant. 

Here's how I made it happen.  First, I decided to use a recumbent bike.  this is the one form of exercise I knew I could do, and didn't cause me pain.  Second, I was told to exercise 4 times a week.  I knew that if I gave myself an out,I would take it.  So I decided to exercise every day.  I tend to miss one day a month due to schedule issues.  third, if I don't want to exercise I tell myself that I just have to start and then I can quit after 2 minutes if I want.  once I'm started, I always keep going.  This really works for getting me started. Fourth, I quit when I'm still enjoying the workout.  I don't push myself very much. This helped me built a positive feeling about exercise and now I look forward to it.  When I take a break from my daily activities, I think, "oh boy, I can exercise now!"  That's quite a change for me.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

fran67
on 10/14/13 5:31 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12

All my life, I've hated to exercise.  To be honest, I still hate doing it.  Yes, I'm happy after that I did it but I have to force myself to do it 5-6 times a week.  A lot of people say once you find what you enjoy, you learn to love it.  I've tried a ton of stuff in the past 19 months and still don't have that feeling.  So I do what works for me (recumbent bike and walking dvds) 1st thing in the morning so there's no excuses like too tired or no time.  I also find putting on work out clothes as soon as I get up helpful.  Once they're on, I'd feel guilty not doing something. Hopefully, you will be like so many others and love it! 

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

JAlston
on 10/14/13 5:48 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Surprisingly you can change your mind set around exercise. I really was not into going to the gym, working out...yuck. However, when I started doing it on a regular basis, I enjoyed it. I felt better those days. You can also get out of the habit easily and fall back in your old habits. I have slacked at going to the gym lately and I regret it because I feel so tired which makes me not want to work out but I felt so much better when I did! It's a catch 22, but you gotta force yourself to do it and watch how much better you feel.

I am taking my own advice here and working out everyday this week and doing a 5k on Saturday. If you don't push yourself...no one else will!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

justpete
on 10/14/13 6:26 am
VSG on 04/02/13

want?  maybe not always.  But you do definitely get into the habit of doing it after a few months and miss it or feel crappy if you dont do it.  same effect either way!  it's good.  :)

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views