i know stalls are normal

Tammy B.
on 11/13/13 9:41 pm - Canada

i know stalls are to be expected but ...my surgery date was 4 months ago (next week)....in my second stall and this one has lasted almost a month.....water good, protein good...but literally nothing else...no veggies, no carbs..(i do log my food which is 700-900 calories per day)...i try to do an exercise class every day...if thats impossible a longer walk than the normal 30 minutes.  (exercise is not at the level i would like i have a frozen shoulder that im getting physio for and i had my foot and leg crushed in a car accident several years ago - so i go at the speed i can, up to 2.4...no jumping or anything) Obviously i need to do something to kick start the weight loss again.

Im open to increasing or deceasing the calories...ive gotten no direction from the dietician even though i have asked for it.  Looking for an idea other than they are to be expected be patient....my patience is gone but my willingness to try something else is huge!!

Keith L.
on 11/13/13 10:07 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

What does good water mean? 64oz or 100oz? Most of the time stalls occur because people do not get enough water. I don't know where your fats are but you might want to swap out some of your protein for more fats from coconut oil. Coconut oil is almost like eating carbs and converts right to energy very quickly. Fats from nuts, avocado, olive oil, and flax are very good for stabilizing hormones in women.

Also if your stress level is high, work on lowering that. Stress produces cortisol which slows weight loss too.

As for the exercise, how about a stationary bike where maybe you can step up the intensity or swimming once you get your shoulder squared away so that you can get a whole body workout in a few minutes.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Tammy B.
on 11/13/13 11:42 pm - Canada

I dont have stress....water 8 cups per day minimum plus decaf coffee, etc...i dont have much stress...biking..doesnt sit that well with the one knee....but maybe i will try it to see if i can it. Thanks for the tips....i have had a bit of almonds lately....i cook with olive oil ony, not sure what to do with coconut oil.

Keith L.
on 11/14/13 12:43 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

you can cook with coconut oil, it has a very high smoke point so its a great oil for stir frys and other sautes. Refined coconut oil has no flavor, virgin has a light coconut flavor and I mix it into coffee.

I would say try to up your water, especially if you are exercising as you are at the very low end of the water scale here.

Maybe instead of a stationary bike a recumbent bike would be better, you sit down on that and your legs go forward, might take some of the pressure off you knees.

Keith L.
on 11/14/13 12:44 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Cortisol can also be produced by pain as well as strenuous exercise so if you are in pain from your injuries I wouldn't rule out the cortisol just yet.

cappy11448
on 11/13/13 10:33 pm

Sorry you are stalled for so long.  That's so frustrating. 

My first thought was carbs - but I noticed you said no carbs.  My second thought is that perhaps you are building muscle with all that exercise.  Muscle is more dense than fat, so you could be losing a lot of fat but the weight loss doesn't show because of the added muscle. 

I suspect you will have a great break-through soon, and the weight will start falling again.  Just keep the faith.  You have to be losing weight if you are eating so few calories.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Tammy B.
on 11/13/13 11:06 pm - Canada

THanks fingers crossed

linzeelee
on 11/14/13 12:04 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

I don't have any advice on top of what's been offered, but I wanted to say hang in there. It sounds like you are doing a great job despite the limitations of your body. Do you feel your clothes getting "bigger"? Are you taking measurements? Most people report that they shrink during those long weight loss stalls. Best wishes to you!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Tammy B.
on 11/15/13 12:16 am - Canada

Thanks!!

Gail D.
on 11/14/13 1:25 am

I just broke through a stall that lasted 5.5 weeks. It was my first stall, and man, I was getting so depressed over it!

I see my surgeon for the first time today since surgery, and I intended to ask him about it, but now that the stall is over I'll mention it but not as adamantly. :-)

I don't know if it made a difference, but I did a few things to change my daily intake.

1. I stopped 'eating' a breakfast. (I'd been having an egg or cottage cheese). My breakfast is now a protein shake with an additional 10g of protein added. Just to be on the intake safe side.

2. I have a soft food lunch, ie: yogurt, cottage cheese, etc

3. I eat protein and complex carbs for dinner.

4. I eat one serving of protein and some complex carbs after my workout in the evening -- usually around 9:00pm

5. I've kicked up my workout. I don't do the three miles of walking they want, but I do about a mile and a half of intense work on the treadmill. Fast walking. Even jogging. I also do half an hour of weight training and resistance training before my stretching.

Started doing that last Friday, broke the stall on Sunday, been losing every day since.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views