i need support

bombmom22
on 11/16/13 12:31 am

my surgery is scheduled for this monday, 11/18th in cleveland, oh with dr. hassan.  i dont have any family support and im getting anxious.  i just didnt want to tell anyone about the surgery.  ive tried every diet you can think of and nothing has worked.  i just want to get the surgery and live a better life for my kids.  im to overweight to enjoy in activities with my little ones.  i pray all goes well and i can just blend back in like nothing happened.  the embarrassment of not being able to lose the weight on my own is why i have not told my family.  they think im going out of town for the weekend.

Machelle.K
on 11/16/13 12:45 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

You are going to be fine, though it helps to have a support system even if it's one person you can trust. This is a life change which sounds like you are committed to for the future for very good reasons. You'll be in the my thoughts as you go through this procedure and how you move forward once your home. Best of luck...

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/13 12:55 am, edited 11/16/13 12:56 am
RNY on 03/10/14

Oh wow. Just my opinion but you need to come clean with your family immediately! You have nothing to be embarrassed about. We all have been where you are as far as diet fails and choosing this because we want to finally live a healthier way. I can assure you that "blending back in" after the surgery is not something that you should want to do. This is all about changing not only how you view food but also exercise and life choices. YOU control how well the results will be with the after surgery with the choices you make. This shouldn't be a act of desperation but a choice of change. Be proud that you are taking steps to take back control of your life. Its something to be admired not hidden. Again - please tell your family. When you outline the reasons you decided to have the surgery, they just may be more understanding that you think! Good luck on Monday.

mickeymantle
on 11/16/13 1:16 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i will be very difficult to explain your liquid diet after surgery , and why you are only eating 3 oz of food and only protein

everyone on here has failed with dieting , every one that needs to lose 50 lb or more will gain it back with just a diet (Congressional study 95% gain the weight and more back )

this is not something you did by mistake this is something in your genetics that makes you gain weight

why be embarrassed about trying to get healthy , I have told almost everyone and get support from most people , and all people that I care about

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

JennyLove
on 11/16/13 2:14 am - Douglasville , GA

I'm wondering if after you have the surgery and start seeing some results if a more confident you will start to emerge. Maybe just maybe this more confident you will realize how strong and proud you should be of yourself and  those insecurities with family will fall to the wayside. And if all else fails and you still  feel there is no support from your family, you have an extended family on here to come to for advice and encouragement :D

Mrs_Desire _
on 11/16/13 2:39 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13
Hi there. I am having surgery on Monday as well. I was nervous to tell my family because of the back lash. But at the end of the day it's about making my body a healthier vessel. Yes I have heard it all and I continue to hear it all. It's going to be difficult to explain your eating habits around Thanksgiving also if your family all comes together like mine. We are here to support you none the less. I would just bite the bullet and tell them. Be strong in telling them. This is about you making yourself happy and healthy. You the only one that has to live in your body. ###hugs###

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

Jen Lyn
on 11/16/13 3:31 am
RNY on 11/11/13

I flew in a friend from another city who would help me.  Three out of twelve people had no one with them.  Two husbands stayed most of the time.  The others came and went.

I noticed a woman all alone and asked her if she wanted to talk.  That helped both of us.  Her fiance came every night from 6-10.  Maybe someone else will be alone and you can buddy up.

I only told people I KNEW would be supportive and my husband. No family knows. 

I was surprising calm though I feared freaking out the day of surgery.  I was just so fed up with being sick and tired and missing out on life. 

I did take the pain meds because when I skipped a dose, it really hurt to get up.   I had surgery 5 days ago and I can get up without hurting. 

To be honest, on day three my friend was kind of bugging me by asking me questions.

edelu
on 11/16/13 3:35 am - los angeles, CA

I didn't tell anyone.  I just spoke to this screen.  The recovery took about a week, at least i remember it being that long before i could go to the store and shop comfortably.  I also made sure that i had everything i needed for at least 2 weeks in my house.

I don't know how you move through seamlessly with little ones.  That would not have been possible because you do  need support with them, it is major surgery and you are down, not totally, but not being able to deal with little ones right after.  Also you will be on pain meds for several days after and things are fuzzy and i remember sleeping a lot.  

Provided you have no complications you should be fine except with the kids.  I don't know how to council you on this, but you will not be up and running immediately.

Good luck

Nmmsg
on 11/16/13 5:36 am
VSG on 07/09/13

You need more support than us.  It scares me that you have none. I don't know how old your children are, but you will need some help.  My surgery and recovery went exceptionally well- I had no pain.  I went home the same day but I could rest and know my family was there.  I was pretty tired the day of surgery and the next day.  Please think about care for your self and children- if even only a few days.  Your family may surprise you.  If they love you, they will want the best for you.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

alicia0206
on 11/16/13 6:54 am

I just had the surgery done by Dr. Hassan on 11/12/13... I am 4 days post op... feel free to email me... just remind me who you are...

Alicia

[email protected] 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 352 views