Almost 3 weeks out - not losing weight - What Gives?

LJCopeland
on 11/18/13 12:07 am - Victoria, TX
VSG on 10/31/13 with

I'm still excited about my journey - at least I'm trying to tell myself I am.  But the scales haven't really moved in 5 days.  I actually gained a lb. on one day.  At first I know I wasn't getting enough water because swallowing was so hard.  I'm past that and getting 64+ oz of water daily.  Week 1 I was on clear liquids.  That was hard because I got sick of everything excep****er.  I now officially hate Gatorade.  I've been on a full liquid diet since week 2 and the shakes (I've tried several kinds) are so sweet.  I never thought I'd hate sweet stuff, but now I just can't stand sweet.  I tried adding some protein to a broth and it curdled, so I just had plain broth.  I don't want to eat carbohydrates, so I am avoiding some of the things they said I could have such as cream of wheat and oatmeal real soupy because they have more carb than protein. 

I know I sound a little whiny, but I am starting to panic that maybe I'm one of those people who can't lose weight no matter how little I eat.  UGH!!!  Since I went to Mexico for surgery, my best support is right here.

Any thoughts?

VSG 10/31/2013 Starting weight 253, Surgery weight 247.5, Current Weight 103.6 (2/16/14).  Had my surgery in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela

Gail D.
on 11/18/13 12:15 am

Did you do a pre-op diet to drop some pounds beforehand?

I went through a long stall beginning about three weeks after my surgery. No matter what I ate, or didn't eat, I didn't lose past a certain weight and it went up and down about 2 pounds around that number. I was very frustrated, too, but people here told me to hang in there. I did, no matter how discouraged I was.

Just over a week ago, BOOM! I began dropping again.

It'll happen...

Oh, for hot cereals look at Malt-O-Meal. It's like Cream of Wheat, but it has more protein and less calories per serving. And you can add protein powder to it after you've made it (I've done it a few times when I'm just plain sick and tired of eggs and need a change.)

LJCopeland
on 11/18/13 12:23 am - Victoria, TX
VSG on 10/31/13 with

Thanks Gail.  You and others like you are why I keep coming back to this site.  I keep reading the stories for inspiration.  Hopefully my story will be like yours and I will suddenly break the stall and start losing.

My pre-op diet was 4 days.  The only reason it was so short was that I got my appointment for surgery just 4 days before.  I started a clear liquid diet the day I got my appointment.  I lost 6 lbs during that time, and my total weight loss showing on my ticker includes those pre-op lbs I lost.

VSG 10/31/2013 Starting weight 253, Surgery weight 247.5, Current Weight 103.6 (2/16/14).  Had my surgery in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela

LtWeight
on 11/18/13 12:26 am - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

My first stall was 3 weeks after surgery.  I think it is very normal because your body is trying to "catch up" and if you take measurements you will find that you are losing inches during these stalls.  That's the case for most of us it seems.  Just stick to the basics and do what your surgeon has instructed.  Good luck to you and be patient!

LJCopeland
on 11/18/13 12:30 am - Victoria, TX
VSG on 10/31/13 with

Thanks for the encouragement.  I need to hunt up a tape measure.  

JennyBee
on 11/18/13 12:32 am

Also, about the protein powder curdling: It will do that at temps above 130-140. I use a thermometer to be my broth isn't too hot, then add the protein powder. And with Cream of Wheat, you can also make it with milk and get in 10 more grams of protein from that.

LosingSarah
on 11/18/13 12:36 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I stalled starting one week out and it lasted three weeks. It was discouraging, but I just kept sticking to my docs plan and the weight started coming off again.

Stalls are normal. Just keep doing what you're supposed to do and it will happen. 

Good luck!

Nancybefree
on 11/18/13 12:36 am
VSG on 11/21/12

That early out I ate unsweetened applesauce, egg salad made with RF mayo, 1% cottage cheese, and drank 1% or skim milk. 

Unjury Chicken Soup protein was a sanity saver for me, as I too very quickly tired of the uber-sweet shakes.  Yes, as you've already been advised, you need to watch tha****er temperature, but once you get the hang of it the Unjury Chicken Soup or even the unflavored protein in the broth of your choice is very helpful. 

Hang in there! 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

LJCopeland
on 11/18/13 1:19 am - Victoria, TX
VSG on 10/31/13 with

Thanks so much for the encouragement.  Reading about your experiences helps me see that there is some light at the end of this no-weight-losing tunnel.

Thanks!

Scott S.
on 11/18/13 3:22 am - TX

Stalls will definitely be a part of it.  The math just won't add up at some point..... 500 calories in, 2000 calories out = loss!

Could be sal****er retention due to workouts, anything.

My key suggestion would be to log your foods on myfitneespal or something.  That is by far the best way for me to be honest.

And keep drinking H2O.

VSG: 8/8/13 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views