I miss never having to think about pooping!

Minda626
on 1/7/14 11:46 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

The good old days...like a month ago...when I just pooped.  Never had to think about it.  Just happened.  Now?  Sigh.  

So here's the deal: it's hard to poop and it hurts to poop.  When I had my knee replacement a couple years ago, between the iron supplements and the narcotic pain meds, forget it.  Poop only happened with the help of milk of magnesia, as recommended by the ortho surgeon's CRNP.  That stuff is so disgusting I just can't bring myself to go there yet.  I also haven't even bought my iron supplements yet even though I should have started taking them a week ago, because the poop situation is bad enough already.

Help!  What do you guys use to keep things moving comfortably?

VSG 12/17/13   HW 325   SW 281   GW 149

shiftling
on 1/8/14 12:29 am - Kelowna BC, Canada

I have a morning coffee. Yep, that's all I need. With cream if I'm -really- stuck. ;D

Anne-Marie (Amry)
  Tangental pixie of chiming in and support through the usage of cuteness overload.

S L E E V E D!  

Gail D.
on 1/8/14 12:37 am

Yep, me too... morning coffee and there's no problem. :-)

But you might try Miralax.

freckles1973
on 1/8/14 12:31 am - Canada

Clear Inulin Fiber. Recommended by my NUT when I was in the pre op liquid phase to help prevent constipation. Right after surgery due to pain meds that could cause constipation the DR. gave me Colace a stool softener but was only on that for a couple of days. I still continued to take the inulin fiber after surgery and still do. Keeps me regular and very happy..lol. 1 to 2 tsp three times a day. Dissolves with no taste in any liquid and can even bake with it. Can find it in the pharmacy.

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

Kympiggie
on 1/8/14 12:32 am
VSG on 05/28/13

Well, I hear you for sure!  I suffered terribly at first and still can if I'm not careful....  This may not be the best thing in the world to do, but I usually take a softener a few times a week just to keep things moving.  I'm sure there will be others who may be able to give you much better advice, but this is currently what works for me.  My family doctor (not the WLS surgeon) suggested maybe something like metamucil.  I haven't tried that...  I remember the good old days....lol!

Kym :)

Sandy M.
on 1/8/14 12:34 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Miralax - it's a powder that can be mixed with coffee, or any liquid (and it's tasteless).

Also, you could try Magnesium Citrate which is a supplement my NUT wants me to be on anyway - it comes in a powder form (Calm is the brand I think) and tastes good in ho****er.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

metk79
on 1/8/14 12:41 am

I take Miralax.  I no longer go on a daily basis, it is more like an every other day kind of thing.  I too use to have the worst painful bowel movements, but the Miralax has helped tremendously! I don't have terrible stomach pains from it either, but everybody's systems could react to it differently.  Just saying.

Surgery Date: 11/15/13 HW: 376 Day of surgery: 341 CW: 257 GW: 170

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/14 12:59 am

I have to keep up my routine or else I just don't go too easily and, like you, it can be painful. I like to say it's like trying to pass the Rock of Gibraltar! OWWWW!!!!!

So I take a 250 mg colace (or 2 100mg colace - depends on what I have on hand) per day and half a dose of generic Miralax. Keeps me regular and the doctor has said I can continue with this regimen indefinitely without consequence.

Sucks that poop has become an issue, but well worth the trade.

mickeymantle
on 1/8/14 1:12 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

coffee helps but once in a while I need the milk of magnesia, the miralax did nothing for me , I have increased my fruits and veggies a little and that is helping  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

mimij
on 1/8/14 1:14 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I have Miralax in my coffee or tea every morning. I regret it when I forget so I rarely forget.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Most Active