Two weeks post op and all the sudden it's difficult to drink & eat? I now know why

BarbieS
on 1/9/14 7:36 pm

I am just at two weeks post op and have done quite well, relatively painless and problem free. I have had no issues getting down water or protein, almost worried that it was so easy, I could even take a gulp (of water) and not really have issues. In fact, I asked what happens if they left too much stomach or if I have stretched it already because I can drink 8 oz in 20 minutes!

Then yesterday I wake up to crazy loud stomach noise, followed by constant belching, lovely! And it started taking a while longer together the protein drink down. I have taken some gas-x which helps with the sound effects, but not which the new found issues of getting the protein down. 

I have read other posts with a similar issue, issue free at first, then problems a couple weeks in, but other then an encouraging word to hang in there, I never read any reasons, well I have one and thought I would share!

I had my two week follow up post op appt and learned that at 2 to 3 weeks, your stomach has swelled considerably and in fact is about at the maximum swollen state.  The nurse further explained that the frequently see patients that had no trouble getting their fluids and protein call in very concerned, after all it is alarming when you think this is a cake walk, all the stuff you were warned about didn't happen, then all the sudden boom!  

So folks, that's what's happening, the stomach has swollen post surgery, and for the next few days to a week, my stomach will be heard across the room, I will be burbing like a redneck on a beer binge and I am experiencing all the issues with consuming water and protein that the said would happen.  But this should pass in the next week!

------

And for those interested, I have lost 15% of my excess weight! down 27 lbs from surgery day (12/26) and my blood pressure which had been at 134/78 for several years, is down to 102/70. 

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/9/14 8:05 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

We share the same surgeon! I didn't experience any complications post op and thought the fact that I could drink 8oz in 20 minutes was pretty amazing, too. I didn't feel any true sense of fullness until about 7 weeks out, which is probably when the nerves in my new tummy were reconnected,  so it was important for me to do portion control. I also bought some lower sodium Better than Bouillion Beef from Costco to kind of fill in the cracks if I had head hunger and wanted something in my tummy. Now, being 10 weeks out, I have a better idea of my sleeves capacity and try to undereat it. I liked the BariLife Protein bars, but they're kinda pricey. I ended up getting Pure Protein bars from Sam's Club and they have the same amount of protein and carbs as the BariLife but are much more affordable. I can get a box with 18 bars for $18. They are handy when I'm on the go. 

BarbieS
on 1/9/14 8:20 pm

Cool! Nice to meet you! How along are you post-op?

good to know about the protein alternatives. I am surprised at how much I like their soups and drinks. Prior to surgery I tried a couple of of the cookies, protein chips and ugh!  

I am going through withdraw of putting food in my mouth  right now. Hoping I shake that before hunger comes back! 

Bufflehead
on 1/10/14 2:31 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

*waves* I'm another Dr. Williams patient, I'll send you a friend request. He is the best!

BarbieS
on 1/10/14 6:56 am

Great meeting you. I really liked Dr Williams too, and their staff is very impressive. 

I accepted your request, hope to hear more from you, I would like to hear about your experience. 

cappy11448
on 1/9/14 8:32 pm

Thanks for clarifying this.  Just FYI, my swelling didn't go down until week 7 post op.  So it can take a while. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

BarbieS
on 1/10/14 2:01 am

Thank you! 

Good of luck with your surgery. So far, outside of the incessant belching, I just miss the sensation of food in my mouth. That's been the worst of it- which isn't that bad. 

Newlori44
on 1/10/14 9:56 am
VSG on 12/23/13 with

Thank you so much for sharing this. I thought something was going wrong!!!!! I am 19 days post op and all of a sudden whamo. I can't eat or drink much of anything. 

Very helpful, not on here often at all, you are awesome & NOT an idiot. I appreciate you. 

BarbieS
on 1/11/14 9:50 pm

Thanks, I know I am not, I was just put off a bit from that post, but bottom line, I didn't know why, I saw others had similar issues and thought I would share.  

How are you doing now?  I am still struggling and have resorted to doing protein shots (not injectable, but the concentrated 4 oz dealies that have a really odd fishy  flavor that isn't fully masked by the fruity flavor) at 48 gr protein it was fairly easy to get down.  It's still early but am feeling better this morning, I am hoping I am on the downside. 

Good ode luck to you! 

Member Services
on 1/10/14 9:56 am - Irvine, CA

Posts in this thread have been removed due to violations of our Terms of Service. The pertinent portions of the TOS that were violated include inciting anger and references with personal attacks of another member.

Please be mindful of our Terms of Service when making posts to this (or any) message board. Multiple posts that contain continual violations of our TOS may result in moderation of a member's account. 

We encourage discussion and interaction between members on topic in a thread that comply with our TOS.

Thank you or your anticipated courtesy and cooperation.

Sincerely,
Member Services

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views