Gastric sleeve - leak

CCA
on 2/21/14 12:05 pm

Hi CIDGrad -

I'm writing to you as I'm researching options for my husband.  He had a VSG in Mexico on Thursday, Oct. 24, 2013, flew home to Georgia 3 days later, and had emergency surgery on Tuesday, Oct. 29th to deal with a leak.  

He spent 35 days in the hospital, had 3 stents placed that all migrated within 24 hours, and has a j-tube and a drain.  He has been admitted to the hospital 3 more times in December and January.  

The most recent procedure was done on Jan. 23, 2014 by a bariatric gastroenterologist at Emory and he placed a "bear claw" on the hole to help it heal. A CT done two weeks later revealed that the leak was much worse.  

The same MD went back in yesterday to make adjustments, suture, and/or glue to close up the opening, but he reported that the surrounding tissue is too sick/weak and the hole will not heal on its own.  

He wants to refer us immediately to a surgeon for transition to a roux-en-y or complete removal of the stomach.  I am extremely hesitant for my husband to take that extreme step yet, and I'm encouraged by the posts stating that most leaks can heal over time.  

We are looking for any thoughts, feedback, experience and recommendations that could help him avoid losing his stomach. 

Thanks!

diane S.
on 2/22/14 3:14 am

so sorry this happened. can only suggest you consult with one of the top us surgeons like dr. cirangle, jossart or others and see what they recommend.  diane.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active