Worried that 3 months out and can only eat 1 oz at a time :/

childof60s
on 3/19/14 10:10 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

Hi friends, I've just passed my 3 month anniversary and in terms of weight loss, I'm doing really well!  I've lost 47 pounds, down to a size 12 from a size 20, and in that regard I couldn't be happier!  I feel very little hunger and if I didn't have to eat, I'd probably forget to!

The problem is that my capacity is so very tiny.  I can eat only about 1 oz of anything at a time, and after that I feel uncomfortably full.   Sometimes its REALLY painful.  I get a horrible taste in my mouth, and feel bubbling up in my neck.  Sometimes I feel the need to vomit after only this small amount (I haven't yet, but some close calls).  I asked my MD if this could be reflux and she said possibly but more likely it's esophageal spasms and that I need to eat smaller bites.  If I ate smaller bites they would be microscopic!  I may be losing my mind but I can swear that until this month ago I was able to tolerate 2-3 oz at a time.    What the heck is going on?  I'm terrified that at this rate I'm going to keep losing weight until I disappear.   I make sure I walk briskly at least 30 minutes a day, but I feel more weary than ever.  

Should I be concerned?  How will I ever STOP losing weight if I continue on this trajectory?

Thanks in advance!  

Co60s

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

Keith L.
on 3/19/14 11:17 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Enjoy it while it lasts. Just remember to eat, you can actually slow your weight loss if you don't provide your body with adequate nutrition. I would also recommend that you be very diligent in getting your vitamins and calcium in.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Tracy D.
on 3/19/14 11:24 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Honestly, I think you should explore the reflux thing a bit more.  I was having those exact same symptoms (horrible taste, bubbling up into the throat) and it was reflux.  My surgeon said I had the worst case he's ever seen.  If you aren't already on a PPI, please ask your doctor to put you on one.  The fastest way to determine if this is reflux or not is to get on meds and see if it stops.  If it stops then guess what?  It was reflux!  

You're not going to be able to get in the necessary nutrition (mainly protein) if you continue to limit yourself to an ounce at a time.  So it's important that you be able to increase that capacity.  I know some people will say "you're lucky" or "enjoy it".  But if this is really reflux then it's potentially damaging your stomach lining and esophagus and it can create long-term issues.  Ulcers can develop and can cause serious problems.  

Bottom line:  YES, you should be concerned! 

P

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

56sunShine14
on 3/20/14 1:39 am

you may also be eating too fast?  Even tiny bits of food require a slower eating pattern.  Give it all time to get down.  Are you drinking anything within half hour of eating?  That would fill you enough that you cannot eat enough food for nutrition.

MayPenGirl
on 3/19/14 11:43 pm - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

Like Keith says enjoy the restriction while it lasts.  I was only able to eat 1-2oz at a time during my weight loss period and I was also worried that I would only be able to eat that amount for the rest of my life.  I'm almost 1 year out and can eat 4oz of protein and sometimes I can also add 1-2oz of veggies too.  Eventually you will be able to eat more and at times may wish you could go back to when you could only eat 1oz.  

You may need to get on a PPI for the other symptoms so speak to your doctor again about this.  I'm on Nexium and have no problem.

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

Gwen M.
on 3/20/14 2:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you talked to your surgeon about this?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/14 2:31 am - Canada

I think it's worth exploring with your surgeon.  If you are going backwards in the amount you can consume that is not normal.

frisco
on 3/20/14 8:17 am

I would bring it up with your surgeon and maybe get a scope done in another month or two......

What your describing could be a narrowing.....

A common issue with some less experienced surgeons is that they get it to tight in the middle (hourglass shape) when the middle should be the largest diameter to promote positive food flow....

But than again it could just be your still early out.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

childof60s
on 3/20/14 10:23 am
VSG on 12/17/13

Thanks all, I'll call my surgeon tomorrow and let you know what's up. :/

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

childof60s
on 3/26/14 12:25 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

UPDATE:  My intake got to be pretty much nil and the pain with intake of ANYTHING became unbearable.  Had an endoscopy, and surprise surprise, my esophagus was being torn apart with acid from reflux.  I was started on Nexium and carafate, and thankfully the worst of the pain is abating and I'm able to eat a little bit more each day.

Thanks all!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views