Surgery in three weeks-thinking of backing out

lessofme123
on 5/16/14 4:46 am

I've done everything required-6months of doctor visits, and jumped through all the insurance hoops. I have my surgery scheduled for June 4. I have time off work. I have already met my deductable this year, and I am getting cold feet.  Am I really big enough to consider something so drastic? I am 5'3" and weigh 220 pounds. Should I go through with this? Are there others my size who had surgery and are happy with it? There are so many horror stories online of surgeries gone wrong. Is it really worth the risk? I would love to finally be thin but I'm getting nervous. I have struggled with my weight for so long.

Flygirlmedic
on 5/16/14 6:41 am

I am 5'4' and my starting weight was 230. I tried every diet you can think of to get this off and nothing worked. I had surgery Feb 25th and I have lost a little over 40 pounds. Feel amazing. More energy, sleep better and when I travel I don't get tired running through the airport like I almost always have to do.

I had no other issues other than my weight. No high blood pressure, diabeties or anything like that. I ws just over weight. This was the best thing I have ever done. No regrets at all. I even had to pay for mine and still did it.

Don't back out now. You will love the results.

VSG 2/25/14 Dr. David Kim    HT 5'5" 51yo SW 230 CW 170.2 GW 135

MissNexxie
on 5/16/14 9:14 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Try to remember what motivated you to start the process. You've invested a lot of time and dedication to travelling this path and getting your life back, why stop now?  The surgery is over before you know it and recovery is pretty straight forward.  And you can really start making positive changes right away.  If you back out, chances are in a year you'll wish you hadn't and will have to start the approval process over again, possibly with an extra 20lbs added.

I'm 46 and wish I had done this sooner. But I worried more about the food I'd be missing than myself. I questioned my strength.   This time I picked my health and future over the damn cheesecake. No regrets. This board helped tremendously, too. 

All that said, if you're totally not ready for this change then it is best to wait until you're sure. You need that dedication going in.

Sasny
on 5/16/14 10:40 am
VSG on 03/20/12

Hi 

When I was meeting with my surgeon pre surgery I asked him was this surgery too drastic for me, was I fat enough.  I was 5'4 and in the 240's.  He looked at me and said "you are 100 lbs overweight, what are your chances of losing that and maintaining your loss.  Don't kid yourself, this surgery is for you".  I think the statistics for maintaining weight loss without surgery is about 5%.  I am two years out from surgery and about 20 lbs from goal. Not sure if I will get to goal.  But I am so happy with this surgery.  It is a life changer.  I have not for one day regretted my surgery.  Only wish I had it when I was younger (and weighed less).

Good luck with your decision.

stephanie

lessofme123
on 5/16/14 12:41 pm

Thank you all. This is exactly what I needed to hear to help me go through with the surgery. I would love to hear more experiences from people who were about my size and have had wls.

katym
on 5/16/14 12:49 pm - PA

Hi Lessofme123,

It is totally reasonable to be nervous about making a big change in your life; I certainly was. 2 years later I am so glad I went through with it. I am close to your size since I am 5'2 and was 241 at my first consultation and about 220 at time of surgery. I got down to 145, got my high blood pressure under control, and am enjoying a whole new wardrobe. (In the spirit of full disclosure I do have to admit I regained 8 pounds while dealing with some unrelated medical issues this winter, but I am slowly getting back down and without the sleeve I would have gained more.) Was it easy? Not exactly, but totally worth it. Surgery sounds drastic, but VSG has a very safe track record and honestly don't you want a significant change beyond anything you have been able to do before?

All the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

pineview01
on 5/16/14 1:02 pm - Davison, MI

Your thought are normal.  I just want say, I went with the band first and really had issues.  So when I got right down to the wire, I really had second thoughts about going thru with the sleeve after all I failed at every diet and the band.

I am here to say the sleeve is the best thing I every did for myself.  I was 5'4" when sleeved at 238  I am at about 3rd goal with a 98% EWL.  I am also back up to 5'5" too 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

themexcellentone
on 5/16/14 1:40 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I wonder if I'll get my inch in height back too? :)  I was 5'5" up until my mid-thirties...

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

pineview01
on 5/17/14 12:04 am - Davison, MI

I was 5'6" in Sixth grade which is when I stopped getting taller.  I was 5'4 1/4" at surgery.  At 6 months out and down 60 pounds was back to a hair over 5'5".  I am going to get rechecked at the doctors next time as I think I have gotten even taller with the last 20/30 pounds.  I going to get on of those hangy upside down things to see if I can stretch the spin even more

Sorry to hijack your thread OP but, maybe this will give you a grin and help you relax a little.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

themexcellentone
on 5/16/14 1:39 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Yes, you should go through with the surgery.  I'll give you a few reasons why.

1.  I am just an inch taller than you, and at my heaviest, weighed TWICE what you currently weigh.  I had my surgery in July of last year, and am just 8 pounds heavier than you are now.  So yes, you are large enough for this surgery. 

2.  As the doctor who leads my weekly support group says, it is more selfish to stay overweight and not get help than it is to have surgery and get the help losing weight that you need.  By remaining overweight, you become a potential burden to others as your health declines. 

3.  Should you remain at your current weight, you have a host of health issues to look forward to, all of which carry far more risk than having surgery to help you improve your health.  Having sleeve surgery is very safe and very effective, provided that you follow the aftercare program provided to you by your doctors.

I do not for one moment regret my choice to have surgery.  Getting rid of my diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, clothing in sizes beginning with 2's or 3's, impaired mobility, high heart rate--all of that has been worth the hard work it has taken to get where I am now.  Yes, I was terrified, but I was more terrified of dying young and leaving my parents and husband to bury me.  With my sleeve, the playing field is level now in terms of weight loss, and I have been far more successful with this tool than I ever have been. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views