3 weeks post op - Hypercondriac??

OceanGirl18
on 5/19/14 10:32 am

Life seems to be back to my normal busy routine, I'm healing nicely and I've lost 22 lbs since surgery and 34 lbs total, but mentally I'm feel like I'm going crazy and constantly feel like something is going wrong. Every pain, bowel movement or lack there off, not exactly hitting protien goals, I think I'm going to end up in the hospital or have a leak. It sometimes even gets to the point where I have a feeling of did I do the right thing? I'm not sure if maybe it's not having anything but liquids for three weeks and despise the protein drinks or this is all part of the mental game? I'm longing to be told I can move on to purée stage, however I'm so scared to eat again and hurt my new stomach. Maybe it has to do with this lying game I'm playing since I didn't really tell anyone or that I still prepare 3 meals a day for my young family. This site has been so helpful in this journey and I guess I'm just hoping to hear I'm not alone in these feelings I'm having. The first week was torturous so I'm hoping this phase to will pass...really soon! Thoughts or suggestions?? 

phred
on 5/19/14 10:51 am - CO

Rapid weight loss causes the release of hormones previously stored in the fat we burn, which can cause big mood swings.  This will dimenish as these hormones leave your system.

Please give yourself time, and quit worrying about hurting yourself.  Your weight loss team sets the stages of your return to normal foods to account for your healing process.

HTH, Phred

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

Lisa J.
on 5/20/14 4:50 am - OK

Because your food intake and food choices have changed dramatically after surgery, so have your bowels! Again, and forever to all you newbies, WATER is your biggest concern at this point. It's virtually impossible to get in 60ish grams of protein AND 80ish ounces of water!!! You really can do okay without much food and let's face it, liquid 'food' doesn't feel like we're accomplishing anything, but it is. I was afraid to eat too, but I think it was  because I had the mindset of "I'm actually not hungry..why SHOULD I eat and risk my stomach....."  I felt full all the time. That part does recede and get more normal with each month. If you stick to pureed, you're not going to hurt anything. Just keep it simple and don't eat anything that really has to be chewed and digested harder. There's still lots of protein that's not dense.

BTW you weren't required to tell anyone so it's only someone's business IF you decide to share. Continue to READ all the posts that are from others like yourself...you're definitely not alone in your feelings and your expectations and fears....it DOES get better and more real with each passing day. Sounds like you're going to heal nicely and just continue losing weight! If you're not ready to tell anyone but feel the need to explain, just tell them it's diligent food choices and portions. Period!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
pineview01
on 5/20/14 7:10 am - Davison, MI

My first 40oz of of fluid was 100 grams of protein.  Than I had to had to add 20-30 oz of water.  I didn't get in 80 until four weeks out.  Only the 64 oz was required by the center, the other 20 was on me.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views