Are these 'good' stats?

sdkitty
on 5/22/14 1:11 pm

Ok, my surgery is scheduled for June 10th. I have severe medical anxiety. It's my worst fear. Even going for an x-ray makes me throw up. Nothing can scare me more, you get the point.

I have several medical issues (non weight related) at the age of 32 that most days I just stay in the house because I always feel bad. I'm hoping that the sleeve/reduction of weight will help, but I know it's not guaranteed. I just don't want anything that will make me feel *worse* than I already do. I want to be the girl excited to go to the gym, shopping for and preparing new foods, able to clean my own house without hiring someone, etc.

Anyway, that being said, I asked about my doctors 'stats' on complications. He said he's had 3 leaks since he started doing surgeries in 2006. Is that a good rate? Average? Do most doctors have 0 leak patients? I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but I just wanted to make sure. He also says he's had 0 deaths, so at least that is a comfort :)

Jaime P.
on 5/22/14 1:36 pm
VSG on 07/22/14

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I don't think leaks have to do that much with the doctor. It may be the person. My surgeon tells me that studies have shown that 1% of sleevers have had a complication. That's a great statistic in my opinion.

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

sdkitty
on 5/22/14 1:55 pm

Wow, I really thought leaks, etc were due to faulty technique. That is good to hear it is only 1 percent. :) 

Amber G.
on 5/22/14 2:10 pm
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey SD! I disagree, it has a lot to do with the surgeon you choose!! They need to be very experienced at this particular procedure! 3 leaks since 2006 is not a bad number, but how many total surgeries has he done? That will really tell if that 3 is good or bad. Sometimes leaks happen do to non-compliance to eating rules, such as eating to early or eating too much too early, etc. Sometimes you body is not the best at healing (due to other health issues), and sometimes they "just happen". Leaks are pretty rare when you have an experienced surgeon though :) Best of luck on your surgery and NEW beginning! 

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/14 2:11 pm, edited 5/22/14 2:12 pm - Canada

When I did my research I found the most common stat was 0.3% for sleevers.  That's very low.

How are you dealing with your medical anxiety in relation to the surgery?  I really hope you do well.

Blessings, Michelle

sdkitty
on 5/22/14 8:36 pm, edited 5/22/14 8:40 pm

I'm not dealing very well. I feel pretty mentally prepared for what will come afterward. I get a lot of inspiration from you all and the girls on instagram and I'm amazed at everyone's progress. I'm just terrified of the actual surgery itself.

Also, I would hope my doctor has done many surgeries. I didn't ask, but he's at the main hospital in the capitol city of my state - and he's been there since 2006-  so I would think he's done hundreds if not thousands.

Kathy8429
on 5/22/14 10:02 pm

I have a lot of non WLS medical problems. I think you need to have realistic goals for you. Like I didn't not bounce back like most people on this board, it took me a bit longer.  For me everything was a bit slower. I also rarely get out because of health problems. You can pm me if you have any specific questions. 

But bottom line I'm THRILLED with my results!!! I do get out more and am off lots of medications. 

Hope that helps, Kathy 

joshcoop
on 5/22/14 10:31 pm - Blaine, MN
VSG on 04/22/14

Hey there, SD! We sound very similar in our fears. I have always had troubles with anxiety and panic disorder and I was a MESS leading up to my surgery!!! You need to ask as many questions as you can here and to your surgeon until you feel comfortable. My surgery went off without a hitch and did not have one ounce of anxiety my entire stay in the hospital or in recovering afterward. The complications with this surgery are very very very low! Not impossible, but very low. I know that the results of the surgery will far outweigh your fears leading up to surgery and I am living proof of that. Did you talk to your surgeon about giving you something prior to surgery to relax and calm you? That's what I had to do and my surgeon gave me what I needed. I know you will do great and urge you to ask questions and take a deep breath! 

Highest Weight = 321lb, Start Weight = 302lb, CW (as of 05/03/15) = 192lb, Total Loss (since SW) = 110lbs

*Follow my journey:*

http://vsgjosh.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjmVwwSwz1B8d4EBCfWG3ww

Dcgirl
on 5/22/14 11:48 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I had zero complications, and some anxiety but they gave me some amazing stuff in my IV to relax me and I don't even remember being wheeled into or out of the OR!  Ask for that stuff lol.  My doctor told me people don't normally die from WLS.  They do have complications sometimes (around 1%, studies show) but as my doctor said, "We don't discharge you until we know you are healing well, no leaks, no complications".  Your surgeon sounds very competent if he has had 3 patients with leaks in 8 years :)

While surgery is scary, this is the start to the rest of your life!  I am five months post-op and have NEVER felt better.  From a surgery weight of 351 to today's weight of 243.6 :)  Take the plunge and come here for support!

sdkitty
on 5/23/14 12:14 am

Thanks everyone. Your replies are definitely putting me at ease. I have asked for something to help with anxiety, but the doctor says he won't give anything until you're actually at the hospital for surgery. Believe me, it's the first thing I'll be asking for. 

Luckily my husband goes two weeks ahead of me (this Tuesday) so I'll get to experience it from start to finish and know exactly what I'm in for. 

Have any other couples here had surgery together?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 312 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views