VERY slow weight loss

stuffed_animal
on 9/23/14 9:27 am

I had surgery 3 1/2 months ago.  I have been and still am following the doctor's directions faithfully.  For the last 2 months I have lost only 12 pounds.  I am a lightweight to begin with but this seems way too slow, and certainly not like the 1/2 to 1 pound a day the doctor mentioned.  It will take for ever to get to the desired weight and I am afraid with such a conscientious diet now and still loosing so slowly that when I am on maintenance and eating real food, finally, though still little or no carbs, I will be gaining weight.  

Is there anyone with this painfully slow loosing experience that has any advice?

emelar
on 9/23/14 9:30 am - TX

If your doctor told you that you'd consistently lose 1/2 to 1 pound a day, he was blowing smoke up your bum!  I averaged 10 lbs a month, with faster loss at the beginning and a serious slow down as I neared goal.  So 12 pounds in 2 months sounds about right. 

kdmox
on 9/23/14 9:56 am - Baltimore, MD

I had surgery three months ago..am considered a light weight and feel the same way you do! ! Looking for thoughts from those who have been there. ..thanks!!

kdmox
on 9/23/14 9:57 am - Baltimore, MD
mickeymantle
on 9/23/14 10:17 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

im a heavy weight and I lose 5 lb a month everyone loses differently as long as you are following your plan and losing all is great 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

DeeNY52
on 9/23/14 10:24 am

I guess with "only" 90 lbs to lose I was a lightweight- I started at 238 and I am now at 160- a weight that I have been at for most of the summer.  I lost the most in the first month and then it was pretty much a pound a week, with some weeks 2 lbs and some weeks .5 lb. 

I was on plan until the end of May when we went on vacation and since them I'm pretty much at about 1000 calories a day, so my loss has slowed but not stopped and I have never gained. I exercise 5 days a week for 45 minutes- brisk walking and aerobics.

I've lost 5 lbs since May but I have not gained so I am pretty happy.  I am sort of maintaining, though I do want to lose 10 lbs more.  I'm not sure if I will just keep on as I am, losing very slowly, or try to get to lower calories and carbs and more water to see if I can lose faster.

Keep telling yourself that a slow loss means you are more likely to have a slow lifestyle change which means you are not on a diet, you are changing the way you live and eat. 

Slow and steady is the way to go.  Good luck.

Dee

Kathy8429
on 9/23/14 10:29 am

I was a light weight and lost very slowly. I would drop 5-6 lbs then stay the same for a few weeks. Then another drop. I eventually had to make it about the plan and lifestyle changes not the numbers. No more then 800 cal /day 80 plus gms protein 20 gms net carbs 100 oz fluids. Those were the numbers I concentrated on. I did eventually reach goal. It's wonderful and it was totally worth it. Just enjoy the journey 

diane S.
on 9/23/14 10:42 am

there are "lightweights" and "slow vsg losers" groups on OH so you might check into those.   You know that my weight loss was as low as 4 pounds a month for a time. got faster later. I swear as we get older our bodies fight to keep every pound and the people who lose really fast are either young, men , or both. hang in there. I find keeping my hands busy keeps me from focusing on food. I know you know how to do that!!!   D

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

cece58
on 9/23/14 1:30 pm - CA

Not all eating plans provide for the optimum weight loss. What is your eating plan? If you are eating too many carbs it may be the reason for the slower weight loss. I was a light weight as well and I lost very quickly and consistently. I kept my carbs low and they consisted of only leafy green vegetables and non starchy ones. I kept fruit, bread, sugar, legumes and other "sugary" carbs out of my diet for the first 8 months until I reached my goal. I also included exercise in my daily activities. I don't know if it truly matters how fast or slow you lose, but having the momentum of losing quickly was what I needed to keep on plan and reach my goal.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

angel720
on 9/23/14 3:46 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

My advice is to try not to compare your weight loss with others, we all lose at different rates. If you follow your doctor's plan you should get there even if it takes longer.   Losing 6 lbs a month  average  is very good if you do not have a lot of weight to lose. 

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views