Scared of surgery

momomof3boys
on 10/27/14 6:43 am

OK...I'm getting closer to having the procedure done, but I'm scared of surgery (and most things medical). I know it will be worth it once it is complete - I'm just having a lot of issues with something going wrong during or after the procedure that would be life threatening. 

Almiita
on 10/27/14 6:55 am - St.Paul, MN

I still have a ways to go but I feel the same way what if this...what if that... 

but with technology being so advanced and doctors/surgeons being so well prepared, I dont think to  much can go wrong...

My surgeons office told me the worst that can happen is a leak and they are well prepared if and when it occurs. and those chances are about 2%

SURGERY DATE:PENDING  HEIGHT:5'8  HW: 296 CW:267 SW:PENDING

rumpole6
on 10/27/14 7:03 am

I am usually very relaxed about this kind of thing, but the run up to this procedure had me quite nervous, scared, and upset. They tell me that the vast majority of people have successful surgeries with no complications.

Try this happy thought: The risks of not having the surgery are higher than the risks of having the surgery.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/27/14 7:07 am - MI

You can do it!!! You really can! Relax and trust your doctors. I'm freshly sleeved this past Friday and it wasn't bad at all, recovery is going smooth. I walked a mile today! 

1patpat82
on 10/28/14 2:23 am

How soon after your surgery did you start walking a mile?

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/28/14 3:28 am - MI

4 days out and I walked a mile. This morning I felt good so I walked the mall and did some early Christmas shopping. I brought my water with me.

Cheshire54
on 10/28/14 10:16 am

WOW BlueGirl! Your post made me feel better as my surgery will be on Monday.  They told me that they wake you up every 4 hours to walk in the hospital.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/28/14 10:32 am - MI

I swear walking was the best advice I got and it's truly helped!! I can't believe how great I feel! Good luck to you and I can't wait to hear how you're doing!

SophieNJ
on 10/27/14 8:44 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Having my very first surgery (VSG) at the ripe old age of 60, I certainly was scared/nervous...never even had childbirth, so I really was nervous...but my doc was reassuring and competent, and I breezed through it all...was up and walking within hours, never pain, very minimal nausea.  Allowed the hubby to pamper me for a few days, then I was back to my old self.  It will be much smoother/easier than you think..trust me....I had total knee replacement a few months ago, now THAT was a biggie...I would rather have had the VSG surgery 10 times over, instead of just the one knee surgery. 

best of luck!
Sophie

Tealeyes
on 10/27/14 9:41 am
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi Sopie....I AM doing this at the ripe old age of 66. I have gone through two knee replacements so I am glad to hear that the VSG surgery is easier.  The knee replacement was hell!!!

Bettyann

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views