Surgery next Friday, some questions

tracywag
on 11/4/14 9:29 pm

Hi, I am excited to be coming  up fast on my surgery date.  A small wrinkle popped up last night:  I did not factor in Hunting Season.  I am scheduled for Friday, and normally my husband would leave for camp right after work on Friday.  I am thinking if everything goes to plan, it should still be ok.  I would be in the hospital overnight, and have to rely on my mother in law to drive kids for a few days.  As long as we had the pantry full before hand, we would all cope.  My kids are 16, 13 and 10, so do not need the minute to minute care that they once did.  

So questions:  Were you in just overnight?  Would you be ok without a spouse for a few days or did you need that support? What are things that I may be overlooking? Am I going to be cranky and miserable and not fit for company anyway?  

My husband is supportive of the surgery.  He just started a new job after a year of unemployment, so does not have time to take.  This one weekend is about the only thing he does, and would give it up if asked. 

Thank you for any help!

Daelcare
on 11/4/14 10:19 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I was only in one night, but I was rather insistent that I go home the next day (my son had a basketball game!).  My sweet husband stayed home with me the next day, but in all honesty, it was for his benefit, not mine!  You are going to be sore...duh...and tired, so you will sleep, sip and walk as much as you can...even if it's just around the house (I went to the gym the next day, but we have a really nice walking track, so I've gone every day even though I don't walk fast or far).  Let him go...you'll be way more social when he gets back!  You should be driving by the time he gets back, too, as long as you're not taking narcotics!  Will be praying for you...good luck!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

civilmomma
on 11/4/14 11:04 pm, edited 11/4/14 11:05 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

I have a 2yo and 4yo so I would not be OK with my husband away when I had surgery.  Also - it was nice having someone visit me at the hospital (my mom stayed with the kids and my husband visited me - and took me home).  I was in for 2 nights.  Surgery Friday morning, home on Sunday afternoon.  I was thankful for the IV pain meds and IV nausea meds.  My IV was out on Saturday night and I was on oral everything for 12 hours before being released - but it was tough.

Recovery was smooth once I got through the nausea part.  I was off the narcotic pain meds by day 5, took Tylenol on day 6 and drove on day 6 as well.  I only took 1 week off work.

Yes - you will probably be fine if your husband is away and you have someone looking in on the kids...but in the event of a complication - you should make sure he is within cell signal or that he checks in every few hours while he is away - so he would know to come home if you need him.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

GooseGirl
on 11/4/14 11:22 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I was just sleeved last Thursday and my husband had to be out of town for my surgery. The only time that I really wished he was able to be there was the morning of surgery. After surgery I basically just slept, sipped and walked. It was fine, for me, that he wasn't able to be there. Honestly, I was really tired and didn't feel all that great and so I didn't really want company. 

Good luck with your surgery!

rumpole6
on 11/5/14 12:12 am

With children that age, the only thing you would need a spouse for is lifting heavy things. I had both my wife and 24YO home with me and the only thing they did was the lifting. I was cooking my own food, going up and down stairs,  getting in and out of bed, getting in and out of chairs by myself etc by the time I went home. I was in the hospital for two nights however.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

parkmanmom
on 11/5/14 12:20 am - OH

Having a husband that hunts, I understand! I had surgery almost 2 weeks ago and my husband was only there in the morning before surgery, which was fine with me, but I did have my sister there with me. I went home the next day (have someone that can be on stand-by, as you always get out later than they say you will). I was pretty much home alone after as well, I have 2 teenage boys that were off doing their own thing and that was fine. I enjoyed being able to sleep and do my own thing the first week or so. I would just recommend having someone that can run errands if you need them to. While I stocked my cupboards, there was always something else someone had to run out and get, especially when I couldn't tolerate the taste of the items I'd bought-you really don't know what you'll like and not like afterwards. I'd have someone get me a new soup to try or a different ingredient for a protein shake. Good luck, you'll do great!!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/5/14 1:31 am - MI

Let me start by saying I'm not normal and pretty independant. ;) Surgery for me was very easy with no complications. I stayed overnight and I didn't want anyone visiting me in the hospital. I wanted to walk, sip & sleep! I take care of my mother with Alzheimers and my father can't walk and I was fine and not in need of assistance. I did some precooking so I had soups & casseroles in the freezer ready to go & I also made sure the fridge was stocked before I left. I had surgery on a Friday and the sunday after I drove myself & my Mom to church. Obviously church is a strenuous activity, but I wanted to get out of the house. I think with planning and with the age of your kids & help of your mother in law you would be okay without your husband. Good luck to you.

Gwen M.
on 11/5/14 1:38 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I was only in the hospital one night and I would have been fine on my own.  Hopefully your older kids will be able to help out with basic chores and bringing you drinks :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views