One month out, went for check up and feeling a little down

Gwen M.
on 11/6/14 11:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Your PA sounds like a twit.  You will continue to lose as long as you work at it, regardless of what she says.  22 pounds since surgery is AWESOME and you're doing great.  

It might be useful to add a therapist to your Obesity Recovery Team to help you conquer those feelings of failure when they crop up.  It's too easy to get sucked down into them and then to actually fail because you've already decided you are a failure!  You're not a failure though, you rock :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Lisarn1
on 11/6/14 8:50 pm - Raleigh, NC
On November 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, GwenMo wrote:

Your PA sounds like a twit.  You will continue to lose as long as you work at it, regardless of what she says.  22 pounds since surgery is AWESOME and you're doing great.  

It might be useful to add a therapist to your Obesity Recovery Team to help you conquer those feelings of failure when they crop up.  It's too easy to get sucked down into them and then to actually fail because you've already decided you are a failure!  You're not a failure though, you rock :D

Your PA sounds like a twit.

My thoughts exactly!

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

snowiekate
on 11/6/14 11:32 pm - FL
On November 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, GwenMo wrote:

This. Exactly this.

~ snowiekate

High 307.2, Pre-liquid: 290.3, Surgery: 282.6

Surgery date May 31, with Dr. Radecke (Riverside Surgical in Sebastian, FL)

Kim N.
on 11/6/14 11:38 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Miss M....

Don't beat yourself up!  What you've done in just one month is remarkable.  My surgery is scheduled for Dec. 8th and if I lose 20 pounds in 1 month I'll do the jig....I'm 62 as well and just about 5'4".....

I would love to lose 100 pounds but I'll work hard and take what I can get.  Any poun lost is not a pound gained.  Take care and keep in touch.

Kim 

BorderCollieMama

NYMom222
on 11/6/14 11:56 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I think we all go into this thinking 'I am going to be the one to fail'. We are all here because we have had many, many failed diets. This is a new season of your life. You lost 22 pounds in a month! That is amazing. Not 'only' 22 pounds. Yes it is important to maximize the first 6 months but the idea that weight loss stops after that is ridiculous. Read around these forums enough, and everybody didn't lose their weight in 6 months....I think most people didn't.  Make sure you are eating enough protein. Usually it's 60-80g a day minimum. Eating the least amount doesn't always make you lose weight faster. I realize you are early on, but don't not eat because you are afraid of not losing. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

changingmylife4ever
on 11/6/14 6:44 pm

I am 60, over a year out, and have lost 129 lbs. I am still loosing. I lost 60 lbs in the first 4/5 months and 69 the last 8/9 months. So, yes, it is faster early on, but it doesn't necessarily stop. That depends on you. If you stick to basics, you can continue to go lose.

Valerie G.
on 11/6/14 9:09 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Even with the DS (most drastic and powerful of a procedure), I lost my first 100lbs around 8 or 9 mos post op, then the last 45 lbs crawled away very slowly.  I was pretty much done losing around 14mos post op.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lemily
on 11/6/14 9:56 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

I was 35 when I had my surgery and only lost about 22 pounds the first month. I am almost 10 months out and down 85.9 pounds. I am 5'5" and started at 246.

Everyone is not "average" and everyone loses at different rates. You are NOT a failure and never let anyone make you feel that way either. This is a marathon not a sprint and in time you will get there.

I am a very slow loser, never had a consistent pattern of weight loss. And only for the first 3 months lost anything in double digits. Since July, I have only lost 15 pounds, but that's expected.  However, I have lost my most amount of inches since July during this whole process when I started adding in personal training sessions 2x/week and started walking more.

Your focus right now is on retraining your stomach to eat and your mind for a healthier life style that you will be able to sustain going forward. And who says you need to hit your goal in 5 months? My mind in the beginning was trained that way. Hell, even people who started out after me with the same stats, have hit goal before me. I did sweat it for awhile, but not anymore...WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!

Keep on going strong and keep your chin up! Don't let that PA get you off track or doubt anything. YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE...promise! The scale is not everything either. take your measurements now, take pictures too! This will help you navigate through the times when that stupid scale does not move!

Tracy D.
on 11/7/14 12:53 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Your PA is mouthing "averages" to you...don't fall for it.  You have done GREAT your first month!   I continued to lose and can still lose at 18 months if I stick to my plan.  It's not quite as easy as the first 6 months but that makes sense since I'm basically at or near my ideal weight.  

And so what if you don't reach your goal in 5 months?   Most people on here don't, not even the men who always lose faster than us.  But if you stick to your plan you WILL reach your goal - I know it will happen 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views