2 week pre-op liquid diet

artist4life92768
on 11/30/14 7:46 am - Jackson, MI
VSG on 01/05/15

I get to do the same thing for Christmas and New Years, my surgery is on Jan. 5th. I know it will be hard, but I consider my surgery my Christmas present, so I will keep that in mind the whole time. Just keep on truckin'!

sunrise6380
on 11/30/14 8:14 am, edited 11/30/14 8:16 am - Claymont, DE
I just finished my last day of the pre-op liquid diet. I don't have anyone else to prepare meals for, so it probably wasn't as hard for me as it is for you. My DH makes all the meals and I stay out of the kitchen. The hardest part for me was the fact that Optifast is milk based. I NEVER want to see another glass of milk. I don't know if anyone else had any adverse side effects, but this week has not been nice to my tummy. Feels like there's a giant gas bubble in there that won't move. I'm guessing it must be from the Optifast. I usually use soy milk if I use milk at all...now I know why. Anyway, I seriously digressed. :- It got easier for me. After the first week on the liquids, I wasn't even hungry. I get sleeved tomorrow, then more liquids, but it doesn't have to be Optifast. Just FYI, anyone that hasn't gotten their Optifast yet...don't get the tomato soup. Tastes like paint remover. :-P That chicken soup needs a little help, but it's tolerable.

Dawn in DE

PrayMore
on 11/30/14 11:44 am

I think it does get easier - more normal. I'm almost through my pre-op diet as my surgery is Tuesday. My two-week pre-op was three Celebrate shakes per day and a small meal consisting of 3 oz of lean protein, 1 cup of veg and 1/2 cup of grain. I only got two shakes in a day. And the meal was such a great boost - I really looked forward to having that real food. And I also was told I could have as much veg as I wanted (as long as they weren't dipped in ranch.) When I was really struggling, I microwaved a SteamFresh bag of veggies. In the first week, I lost about 13 lbs., so I guess I was doing OK with it. Best wishes to you! It does get easier! You can do it! 

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Anthoinette
on 11/30/14 4:11 pm - arlington, TX

Oh man this pre-op diet is something else. I am now on day 4. I have the surgery on the 10th. I have been drinking 74+ ounces of water and three 8 ounce protein shakes per day. The aroma of cooked food is getting to me. I have twin toddlers and they constantly want to "share" with mommie. That is temptation up close and personal. I wish I could just sleep until the big day. Oh well, I have to keep pushing. I wonder how the post-op diet will feel. Does anyone know if you'll ever get to have a whole, portion controlled, healthy, meal ever again; or will it be two or three bites per meal forever? FOREVER seems so final, it's kind of scary. Oh, I'm so nervous.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views