What can you have pre and post sleeve surgery?

Bbinder2002
on 1/8/15 4:48 am

I've watched some videos of what you can have pre and post opt (2 weeks before, 2 weeks after).  Can anyone tell me actual things that you can have?  I hear liquid diet but I am trying to dive deeper into the actual things you had.  When was protein drinks started?

Michele H.
on 1/8/15 4:58 am - NJ

There is no set answer....each surgeon has thier own plan for pre and post op.

Michele

Melanielw
on 1/8/15 5:05 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I have learned on here that many peoples pre-op diets are different. I have my surgery scheduled for the 21st and my pre op diet is for 14 days before. I started it yesterday and I can have 2 protein shakes (my surgeon recommended Premier and I got them at SAMs) a can of soup (can be hearty soup) and 1-2 snacks of jello, yogurt, sugar free pudding, and sugar free popsicles. Two days before surgery I can only have clear liquids.

Tracy D.
on 1/8/15 5:10 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My surgeon was completely different from everyone else.   All I had to do pre-op was lose 10 lbs. in 6 months, which I did.  I didn't have to go on a liver-shrinking diet or a pre-op liquid fast.  

Post-op I was told to focus on soft foods for a couple weeks with the only restriction of "if it hurts don't eat it".  My surgeon's focus was on getting in enough protein and liquids rather than being specific about the type of diet.  I think his practice has tightened that up some in the last year because most people are just STUPID about what they attempt to put in their mouths after surgery   They are providing more specific guidance now than when I started with them two years ago.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

PrayMore
on 1/8/15 5:13 am

My surgeon's pre-op diet was two weeks of Celebrate protein shakes three times a day and one small, structured meal. 3 oz. of lean protein, 1/4 cup of grain and 1 cup of veggies. Being able to have that small meal really helped me. And the first few days are the worst, as everyone will tell you.

Post-op liquid diet for me was about four or five days of clear liquids - Isopure or protein powder mixed in clear fluid, broths, etc. After a few days, you can have full liquids, whi*****ludes cottage cheese, yogurt. creamier soups. That was two weeks for me. Then we hurt the fork-tender foods (mushies). For the first two weeks, I bought a bunch of stuff I never even used. The Isopure only helped me for the first two days. Didn't need to keep that up. And I really relied a lot on herbal tea after - it was soothing and helped. The first two weeks isn't easy, but you just need to figure out what works for you, what you can tolerate, etc.  

My surgeon has a nutritionist on staff that works with patients for several months before and after. She is also available via email. She was able to provide me their pre- and post-op guide to everything. I printed it out and used it as my bible. Maybe your surgeon has the same! You can ask about that! And this site was VERY helpful, too!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

Gwen M.
on 1/8/15 7:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Every surgeon has a different plan, so don't put too much weight on anything I share.  Yours might be totally different!  

Pre-op, for 10 days, I was on protein shakes.  I was allowed to have 6 a day.  I could also have clear, sugar free liquids - broth, crystal light, SF popcicles.  I think SF jello was allowed, but yuck jello :P

Post-op, I got full liquids for two weeks - this was mainly protein shakes and soups that were pureed and then strained.  I really like Panera's french onion soup for this.  So rich and hearty.  And SF popsicles.  They're like crack.  

Then I had pureed foods for two weeks.  I loved purees after 4 weeks of liquids!  I ate well -- https://www.myvsg.net/2-uncategorised/142-pureed-food-i-ate

Then I had soft foods for two weeks.  Fish, yogurt, cheese, stuff like that.  

And then it was time for my forever diet.  Yay :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 92 views