protein shake yuck!

Travelology
on 1/15/15 1:52 am - Canada
VSG on 01/15/15

I am trying to prepare for my surgery by road testing some proteins, and I am having a tough time! This morning I tried my first one....god it was so gross. Total fail. I bought the Unjury Chocolate, Vanilla and unflavored as well as Syntrax necter. I will be giving the chocolate to my husband. Tomorrow I will try Vanilla with some berries?? How do you gag theses down day after day? I am actually super concerned....what if I can't even drink a stupid shake how am I going to do this?

gettingreal
on 1/15/15 2:10 am

I'm at the same stage as you - presurgery.  I actually don't mind the EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control Chocolate.  And that's coming from someone that HATES most of them.  Try lots of different ones as I'm told you get bored quickly....

Travelology
on 1/15/15 2:11 am - Canada
VSG on 01/15/15

GettingReal, when is your surgery?

gettingreal
on 1/15/15 2:34 am

Well, it was supposed to be 2/18 BUT my company switched insurance on 1/1/15.  The new insurance wants me to do three additional months of nutrition visits.  I'm appealing (with my doctor's support).  Keep your fingers crossed for me!  I'm so frustrated....

Beatriz
on 1/15/15 4:26 am

That would be frustrating!!! I had to postpone for about 7 weeks and was upset- I can't imagine having to do 3 months of nutrition classes!!!

Height: 5'4".    VSG 2/23/15

HW: 257--SW: 237--CW: 207  

StacyJo44
on 1/15/15 2:10 am - MN
RNY on 12/31/14

I've bought the Syntrax Matrix (perfect chocolate) and Syntrax Necter (chocolate truffle) both are powders and I love them both and find they taste better to me if I mix them with water and not milk. I also like them better if I just add them to my water bottle and shake them rather than using my mixer which seems to make them too frothy. They mix easily with water anyway. I just bought some vanilla and chocolate Pure Protein premixed shakes from Walmart the other day and they are actually both really good too. I ordered Syntrax Nectar Medical online and am still waiting for it to arrive but it's unflavored and i'll use it to add to pureed and soft foods for the boost. it came highly recommended by a friend who said it doesn't add any odd taste to the foods and just takes on their flavor. Since you didn't mention if your shakes were powder or premixed or if you mixed with milk or water, I would say if they're powder, try mixing with water and milk and see if it helps. If they're premixed, keep looking, there are other brands and if you can buy single bottles to sample, it will save you wasted money if you don't like them. also, stores like GNC and the vitamin shoppe do sell some different brands in individual powder packs that you an try out. And of course, posting the question here will get you some good suggestions. Good luck with finding some you like and with your upcoming surgery and WLJ!

TexasLady52
on 1/15/15 2:16 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I always like protein drinks and have dranked them for years.  After surgery, I could not stand them and could not gag them down and I tried a lot of different kinds.  I now use GENEPRO...it is odorless and tasteless.  I mix mine with lemonage Crystal Light (don't like sweet drinks) and keep it at my desk to sip on all day.  I have mixed it in a lot of different foods hot and cold. No problem getting my protein in and my blood work is good.   I order from Amazon.

SATXVSG
on 1/15/15 2:18 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

The syntrax powders are good.  The premier protien shakes are very good on sale at costco.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Elizabeth C.
on 1/15/15 2:19 am - Mansfield, TX

I had trouble finding one I could drink as well... I did okay with the Premier Protein Chocolate before surgery, but I couldn't make myself drink it after.  I tried a LOT of different kinds.  I just recently started drinking the Syntrax Nectar and it works for me.... at least for now.  But not all the flavors... I like the Caribbean flavor, not so much the cherry.  Just yesterday I ordered 2 more flavors to have to hopefully mix it up.  I'm concerned I'm going to get burnt out on the Caribbean flavor.  I have one every morning.... then at the end of the day when I do my treadmill workout I start a 2nd and fini**** after my workout.  This ensures I exceed my daily protein goals for the day.

I was also adding a lot of fruit to my shakes to make them tollerable.... but then I paid attention to the added carbs and I stopped.  I went back to the drawing board to find something I could drink.  I didn't have to love it.... just had to like it okay enough to drink it.

I feel you on how frustraiting it is... I'm just over 2 months from surgery and I JUST hit my groove and it feels good to finally feel like I can do this, but I felt EXACTLY the same way you are describing above.  Everyone would say, you just gotta do it... that seemed impossible, but now I can.  I mix my Syntrax Nectar with water, I didn't like it with skim milk... I also like it mixed just with water and served over ice instead of blending the ice in...  just try everything.

Good luck and don't give up!  You will find something and if you don't like it now, you may like it later.  I haven't thrown away anything I didn't like because my tastes have already changed several times. :)

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

wyo_sarah
on 1/15/15 2:33 am

I like the Syntrax Nectar (chocolate truffle).  I mix it with soy milk and PB2 powder.  It is pretty good.  I also like the Isopure drinks.  They are like gatorade and the consistency of water.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views