Low blood sugar or reactive hypo after being sleeved?

Riley61306
on 3/15/15 3:38 pm

i posted this once before but apprently I wasn't on the VSG forums! Oops! So anyway, sadly I will admit that I'm a bit of a worrier/hypochondriac 😁.....so I've been constantly obsessing over my blood sugar dropping since having my Sleeve! Is this common is the VSG people or is it just a bypass thing? My would hate to "regret" my sleeve surgery but I am seriously going to drive myself nuts worrying over my blood sugar droppng! I'm 1 week post op, and only allowed broth, SF jello and SF popcicles at this time! 

mickeymantle
on 3/15/15 3:54 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is mostly a rny thing because they don't have a valve on the bottom of there poach 

ps my sugar stays between 90- 110 without insulin and byetta since I was sleeves with only metiformin in 1 1/2 + years never got to low

my a1c stays at 5.8 since right after surgery

reactive hypoglycemia is not even that common  with rny and very rare with vsg  and it also can happen to people without wls 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Riley61306
on 3/15/15 3:59 pm

I was diagnosed with diabetes just days before the surgery. I've never had metformin. I was given 1 unit of insulin after surgery for a reading of 177. All others afterwards were in the 90's.

sinve I've come home my numbers are lower 80's so that why I kinda panic! Although I know that 80 is ok, like I said I tend to be a worrier......something id give anything to get rid of

mickeymantle
on 3/15/15 4:11 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

that is very common blood sugar goes up during surgery and they control it with insulin , 80 is fine but you are best talking to you pcp

maybe talking to a therapist can help you relax

check your blood sugar as instructed by you pcp and learn the symptoms of low blood sugar

also don't over weigh your self once a week is enough or you will drive your self crazy with losing 1 lb gain a lb it will come off if you eat right and you blood sugar should be fine if you eat on plan , it usually drops when you eat to much carb , eat protein and low carb fruits and veggies according to your plan

Riley61306
on 3/15/15 11:33 pm

I actually wasn't even instructed to test my BS at home....I see my doc for follow up on utimursda u so I will be asking him all kinds of stuff haha

Oneillch
on 3/16/15 3:20 am
VSG on 02/04/15

FBS have ranged from 93 to 106 since surgery (without metformin). Looking forward to bloodwork at end of this month to see what A1C is at. I've been told that anything between 80-110 is a "normal" range for a FBS.

Riley61306
on 3/16/15 4:38 am

I had a 77 this morning. 

mickeymantle
on 3/16/15 4:44 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I doubt  thats a problem but call you primary care doctor to check 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 334 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views