I am doing this right? So confused

Crazzzgal
on 3/24/15 2:32 pm

Thank you for the information.  I appreciate it.

psychoticparrot
on 3/23/15 12:48 pm

Maybe you're filling up too much on cheese and bread. Just because they are low-fat or whole-grain doesn't mean they're all that good for you. In my program, lean protein is emphasized, followed by fresh vegetables and fruits. Later, beans, nuts, and a few other good-for-you carbs can be added. If you never ate bread or cheese (of any kind) again in your life, you would probably be better off, healthwise.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Crazzzgal
on 3/23/15 1:03 pm

I really don't eat bread.  I do use cheese in somethings, but at the end of the day I usually have 650 or so calories, and I have met my protein goals and liquid goals.  What kinds of lean protein do they suggest?  They told us cheese chicken and turkey.

psychoticparrot
on 3/23/15 1:20 pm

Skinless chicken and turkey prepared with very little fat is okay in my program. They also included lean beef and pork, low-fat cheeses, fish, and dried beans. But I have my own ideas about what is "okay," and so far, they seem to be working for me.

Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as "lean" beef and pork. I've eaten almost no red meat since my surgery. I also eat very little chicken or turkey. I'm getting my protein mostly from fish and dried beans. I also make sure I eat at least a little fresh veg and fruit every day. I plan to add tofu as soon as I get back to my own kitchen (traveling right now). I've not eaten bread in any form since surgery.

I hope this information will help you. 

psychoticparrot

psychoticparrot
on 3/23/15 1:23 pm

I forgot to add egg whites. I often have two whites scrambled for breakfast along with a bit of fruit.

psychoticparrot

Crazzzgal
on 3/23/15 2:06 pm

Perfect.  Thank you so much for your help.

Crazzzgal

White Dove
on 3/23/15 2:10 pm - Warren, OH

I was allowed to eat things like bread and rice, but chose to give them up.  No bread, pasta, cake, cookies, fruit (except strawberries and unsweetened applesauce).  No cereal, no potatoes, no rice, no corn, no peas, nothing made with sugar or flour.  Nothing made with flour at all, not even whole grain.

I did use fat-free milk and made protein shakes and protein ice cream.

I see people eating simple carbs and they never seem to get to goal or if they do they gain back quickly.  They can tell you it is fine, but the scale will tell you different.

I eat meat, beans, low-fat cheesesticks, lettuce, celery, carrots, tomatoes, protein shakes, and flaxseed muffins in all kinds of varieties.  I lost the weight and keep it off. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Crazzzgal
on 3/24/15 2:34 pm

Thank you.  That is kind of how I feel.  I was told to wait for raw veggies until at least 3 months out... I can't wait..  Can I get your recipe for protein ice cream and flaxseed muffins?

White Dove
on 3/25/15 8:08 am - Warren, OH

Mix in a coffee mug that you spray with PAM

1 egg

1/3 cup flaxseed

1 tablespoon oil or soft butter

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon Splenda

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Microwave one minute and turn the mug over to let the muffin out. 

I add things like 1/4 cup cocoa and tablespoon of Splenda for a brownie flavor.  Grated cheddar and garlic for a savory roll (no vanilla or sweetener).   I came up with many variations over the years.

I mix a protein shake with some extra unsweetened syrup and about 1/4 cup of sugar-free cool whip and freeze in an ice cream maker.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

iloveravens
on 3/24/15 12:27 am
RNY on 08/13/14

All plans are different.  My surgeon asked me if I had tried pasta yet at 2 weeks out.  I looked at him like he had ten heads.  It was perfectly fine on his plan.  I have basically learned how to eat from this site.  Protein first, then veggies, then (rarely) carbs.  This works for me right now.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Most Active