Still in the hospital

zoopop17
on 3/29/15 8:59 am

Hey Everyone

i got my sleeve on Friday. Friday I was hopped up on drugs but had little bits of ice. Yesterday and today I have been shocked at how little I can drink. 1 or 2 oz and then it hurts. Am I going to stay hydrated. I am so sore. Is all this normal?  

C

Laura_S
on 3/29/15 9:17 am
VSG on 03/17/15

I'd say that is very normal. I felt that way still in the hospital. Now I'm less than two weeks out and have essentially no discomfort and can drink 2oz. at once comfortably and am having no hydration issues. I had the same worries at your stage. When I first got home I set an alarm to drink an ounce and hour and got it done that way, but it was tough. For me it's gotten easier fairly quickly. I hope it does for you too!

Laura

Ht: 5'6" HW: 254 SW: 225 CW: 180  VSG 3/17/15 with Dr. Matthew Rawlins

zoopop17
on 3/29/15 9:47 am

They just gave me medicine that made me gag. I'm in lots of pain now. :(

cherg24
on 3/29/15 11:00 am - Ontario, Canada
jackfre
on 3/30/15 10:37 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/15

Are you home yet?   I hope you are feeling better.

Jackie

Hislady
on 3/30/15 6:34 am - Vancouver, WA

Some folks just have a harder time than others if you don't feel like you are safe to get things down at home they will most likely keep you on IV fluids until you can get enough down. The longer it takes the longer you will be hospitalized!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/30/15 9:37 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The first sips of fluids they made me take at the hospital were PAINFUL.  I thought I was going to gag.  

Just remember that you've undergone major surgery and your stomach is swollen, trying to heal.  You need to sip small amounts and stay hydrated or you'll end up in the ER for an IV.  When you come hope, you can eat sugar free popsicles as they count towards your fluid intake.  I had to eat them very slowly because cold things were harder for me to handle.  Try water at room temperature or warm tea.  Experiment with temperatures as some are easier right after surgery than others.

Hang in there.  It gets better  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

jackfre
on 3/30/15 10:36 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/15

I was sleeved on Thursday 3/26 and was released today, I was only supposed to stay overnight  I couldn't keep anything down not even ice chips, or at one point my own saliva, had to sleep sitting up and was awakened chocking on my saliva.  Last night I was finally able to get in an oz.  they gave me prednisone and today I am able to drink comfortably.  It does get better.  I am so happy to be home.  Good luck to you.  I am trying to get in 3 oz every 15 minutes

Jackie

zoopop17
on 4/2/15 2:34 am

I am home now.  Overall, I am feeling a lot better.  I am seriously struggling to drink all the water they want me to.  I keep getting these pains just below my breast bone.  I take a deep breath and the "cramp" goes away.  This makes me not want to drink.  :(  How am I supposed to drink 64 oz if my stomach only holds 2 oz at a time?  I tried to set a timer.  Its not helping.  :(

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views