dizzy and tired

sunflower74
on 4/3/15 1:02 am - Salem, NJ
VSG on 03/09/09 with

I want to bounce this off the group.... 

So I did the 5 day pouch test in the beginning of March to get back on track after years of poor choices and weight gain.  I am back to feeling restriction and making much better choices.  Lots of protein, cut carbs etc... I am eating on average less than 1000 calories a day and lost 23 pounds so far.  THis week I am holding steady at 282.4.  I havent measured myself yet (as I suggested to someone who is in a stall) but my clothes are getting loose and I am not too worried. 

The thing that I am concerned about is for the past 3 or 4 days i have been feeling dizzy upon standing or after bending over for a while (like to clean cat littler) and super tired.  I have battled chronic fatigue for many many years but this feels different.  Anyone else experience this? If so, what did you find was the cause?

mickeymantle
on 4/3/15 1:19 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

probably just your body adjusting to the low cal and carbs

but if it keeps up I would see my pcp

It could be low blood pressure or blood sugar , both witch could go down with you losing weight

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Tracy D.
on 4/3/15 1:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It can definitely be low sugar or low b/p.  You may also want to get your iron checked.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

sunflower74
on 4/3/15 1:38 am - Salem, NJ
VSG on 03/09/09 with

I know my iron levels are low.  I am on a daily iron pill, vit d, & b complex. I havent checked my blood pressure at home but when I do visit the pcp its always in the normal range.  Could be low now, not sure.  I am hoping it is just the adjustment but will check with my pcp if I dont feel better by next week.  Thanks for replies so far.

Tracy D.
on 4/3/15 2:05 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Blood can pool in the lower extremities when you're sitting or laying down (especially when losing weight or after weight loss).  And it can take a bit to get to the upper extremities when you stand up.  Hence, the dizziness.  

Something that was suggested to me is before standing to pump your legs a few times like you're riding a bike to get the blood moving.   Then stand up...it made a big difference for me. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ElizaM
on 4/3/15 1:55 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Drink 1 cup of broth a day. Don't do the low sodium, just get some bouillon. 

When people start a low carb diet, the body goes through it's glycogen stores and flushes out a lot of water. You probably were peeing a lot and lost a lot of weight like the first week, right? Well with all tha****er goes salt and potassium and often people's blood pressure drops, causing orthostatic hypotension and headaches sometimes. 

Drink some broth and hopefully you'll feel better. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

bonkers-1952
on 4/4/15 5:43 pm

Hi Eliza, I cannot help be wonder if my normal blood pressure is 90/60 what will happen when I experience orthostatic hypotension yikes! plus I have heart failure issues ( I have to watch my salt) and have a-fib along with enlarged heart from birth…I am having my surgery on the 28th of April…I sure hope they would not pass me for surgery if they were confident in a successful outcome. Right? 

rumpole6
on 4/3/15 1:59 am

Defintely, drink your water.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/15 2:07 am

Could be many things, as mentioned above. The first thing I would try is adding a little salt to my meals to see if that helps. Often when people diet they not only remove the carbs and fat from their diets, but also inadvertently reduce sodium levels at the same time. We do need sodium and plenty of water.

I had the same symptoms as you did at about 6 weeks out. They went away, but I did go see the doctor. All my labs were normal, but it turned out that during sedentary periods my blood pressure was on the low side and if I stood up quickly or bent over I would get a little dizzy. It all evened out.

I would call your doc, just to be on the safe side.

sunflower74
on 4/3/15 2:20 am - Salem, NJ
VSG on 03/09/09 with

I didn't take a drop in sodium into consideration....hmmmm.  I don'****ch sodium intake anyway but considering the lower volume in food I am now consuming, it makes sense. Thanks again every for your replies.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views