comments - post-op several years out please :)

betterme2014
on 5/6/15 1:06 pm - Canada

I'm pre-op. Hoping to get the VSG. I have read a lot of posts and boards, watched a lot of videos etc...but at this point I would really like to hear from people who are post-op...several years. I'd like to know what your life is like now? Any issues with your sleeve? the best and worst things about your journey? and how do you see this playing out long-term. I know that's a lot...I really appreciate anyone's feedback and input into answering this. Thanks :)

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

TammyGirl1
on 5/6/15 1:34 pm - Oakley, CA

Hey there! I rarely jump on the forum now but happened by today. I am almost 6.5 years out. Best thing I ever did for myself. I started at 201 (5'4") and lost down to goal of 129 within 11 months. At about 2.5 years I started a slow creep in weight gain up to 148 at one point. I have taken control and now around 140. It is a definite daily struggle to maintain my weight and even harder to lose now that I am out this far. I work out 7 days a week which helps. My suggestion would be to not start back the carbs, diet sodas, etc as this is what accelerated my weight creep. Good luck to you!

TT, BL/BA, Lipo, FG/Booty, and small TLcompleted with DR Sauceda
SW 201 / GW 134 / LW 129 / CW 137.6
http://tammygirlsjourney.blogspot.com/

betterme2014
on 5/6/15 1:41 pm - Canada

Thank you TammGirl1 for your response. All the best to you!

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come.

Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.

~ unknown

Martinidale
on 5/7/15 6:37 am

Thank you for adding your 6.5 years of insight.   I am 9.5 weeks post op and will take your advice to heart.  Honest sharing, like this help us so much.  Bless you! 

TexasTerritory
on 5/6/15 4:05 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I am not a true vet but at almost two years out ... I love my new normal.

cece58
on 5/6/15 10:29 pm - CA

I am 4.5 years out. I started at 198 (5'1" tall) and my lowest weight was 115. I reached my goal weight in 7 months. I weigh 123 now and maintain well. I would love to get back to 115 but find it really difficult to lose weight now. It is hard for me to keep my calories below 1000. I eat well and very healthy. I am aware of everything I eat and try to make good choices. However, I don't always make those good choices and when I stray I know what to do to keep it from causing my weight to go up-- cut back and track my calories. My surgeon has support meetings regularly and I go as often as possible. I also still make frequent appointments to see him and weigh in as I believe it is a constant reminder for me to stay on track. He has been my anchor and best supporter and I will owe him my undying gratitude for the rest of my life. I feel "normal" and can eat just about anything if I wanted to. I saw this amazing lemon cake at Costco yesterday and was very tempted....  I passed it by. Wearing a 6 petite (or a 4 sometimes) usually feels better than the great taste of lemon cake. Sometimes the cake wins. It is a constant struggle in my mind in order to keep the body I want. Physically I am healthier and happier than I ever could imagine and no one believes that I am the age that I am. I look much younger and feel great. Best thing I ever did.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

betterme2014
on 5/7/15 8:04 am - Canada

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this. You've obviously been doing something right and made this work for you. Continued success and best wishes to you.

~ unknown

Sandra F.
on 5/7/15 6:04 am

I didn't originate this post and I have not reached my goal yet (7 months post-op) but this is inspiring.  Thanks for all of the inspirational stories.  My greatest fear is that I will lose all of the weight and then gain it back.  I have no illusions that it is a daily struggle, but to see that you guys have managed to maintain gives me hope.

betterme2014
on 5/7/15 8:05 am - Canada

I agree - and it gives me hope too.

~ unknown

Tracy D.
on 5/7/15 10:36 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

What is my life like now?  I sleep better, my feet and joints don't hurt constantly, I can work out, I compete in 5K races, I live a much fuller life because I'm not embarrassed to be seen.  

Issues with the sleeve?  The only problem I had and continue to deal with at times is excess acid.  And I didn't have this issue before the sleeve.  However, it is easily controlled with one pill a day.  

Best and worst things? The confidence and clothing options are the best things as well as getting off all diabetes meds.  Worst kind of depends on what phase of the journey.  Immediate post-op was the gas pain and reflux.  Later it was the mourning the loss of being able to enjoy my food (that went away!).  Now it's the reality of maintenance and that I will always have to be much, much more careful with my food and food behaviors than "normal" people. And by normal I mean people who don't have disordered eating.  

How will this play out long-term?  I will always have to be vigilant about my activity and food choices.  I don't have the luxury of "coasting" in maintenance.  I have a food addiction and it's still alive and well.  Surgery didn't fix that - nothing will.  It's something that simply has to be managed using a variety of tools day in and day out.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views