Cravings

marci079
on 8/9/15 4:34 pm

I am only a week and a post-op and I am not hungry at all, however, I find myself still thinking about food constantly. I try to change my thoughts etc...but it's very difficult. I am still on full liquids and watching my husband eat dinner tonight was infuriating! I wasn't physically hungry, but I guess I am still mentally hungry. It makes me nervous that when I am allowed solid food, I will make the wrong choices. I was so strict on my pre-op diet and never felt the urge to "cheat".  Does anyone else deal with this?? Thanks!

ChubbyHubby82
on 8/9/15 10:58 pm
VSG on 07/06/15

I did at first. But I knew that it was mental head hunger...I have watched others eat and you have to learn and accept that you are now different and special...you can no longer do what everyone else does.

Im on solid food and trying new foods. Some things sit well and other things not so much. I get all of my liquids and protein. However, the thought of eating go me at times is gross or I don't want to eat. Luckily, I have my protein shakes, S/F jello, yogurt, and S/F pudding. 

Food mistakes have happened with me. I wanted some pineapple and after I ate a couple pieces instant gut ache...I LOVE pineapple but my sleeved stomach does not or at least not yet. 

Hang in there and maybe talk to your hubby, let him know how you feel and your experiences. 

iloveravens
on 8/10/15 5:08 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Yes!!  My first few days home my dad was making chicken wings and actually said to me, "It's too bad you can't eat these because they are the best batch I've ever made!" Then a few days later my brother and sister-in-law came over for game night and they made their usual delicious smelling popcorn that we always had.  I was thinking "How could they do this to me?" I was angry...and then I realized that this is my new normal.  People aren't going to change their eating for me...*I* have to change my eating habits for me.  Once I accepted that, the anger dissipated.  Then when the weight starts falling off you'll feel better and it will be so worth it.  Hugs.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Sandra F.
on 8/10/15 5:55 am

I was the same at your stage.  I kept seeing food all over the television and even if it wasn't food that I particularly enjoyed, it had my mouth watering.  It will get easier.  Hang in there!

Tracy D.
on 8/10/15 8:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It's tough - the head hunger is real and messes with us.  I tried to get myself to a place where I could be happy for other people and what they could eat.  I actually got to the point where I could enjoy seeing other people enjoy their food without feeling the need to jump in and join them.  It's a much, much better place to be than angry and resentful...because in the past I always wanted to push those feelings down with food anyway.  

This doesn't work every time for me.  It takes practice to learn how to be genuinely happy for other people when they have things or get things that you can't have and maybe never will (although with food that's taking things way too far - most food you WILL be able to eat again and most likely WILL eat again). 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Pamela M.
on 8/10/15 9:19 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

It is truly a head game.  The only way I have found to cope is to find low-sugar, low-calorie "treats" that don't leave me feeling deprived.  It's tricky business though and difficult.  That's why this is truly a life-style change and the work will never end.  I had the same feelings - anger and frustration - at first.  Now that I am thinner and like the new "me," it is easier because the loss of food as my friend is so worth it - I love how I look and feel and I pray I never go back to the way things were.  Still, it is hard work and the work never ends.  This new way of life is a life-long journey.  Good luck to you!

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

poolside
on 8/10/15 4:51 pm

I'm also about a week out and it was driving me crazy, too. I really thought about it and there are a few reasons I think might contribute:

1. Full liquids means a very small range of tastes-it's pretty boring to be "eating" the same things all the time.

2. Food is everywhere! I've had to stop watching TV because the food commercials (even ones for foods I would never want to eat normally) were hammering my brain. 

3. Our bodies are craving higher levels of nutrients than we can give them right now. Salty things, in particular, keep catching my eye. Not coincidentally, I have low blood pressure so I wonder if it's my body asking me what the heck is going on. 

4. It's really weird not to eat! Fundamentally weird! Much of our social lives are centered on food and rituals that revolve around food. It's strange to sip on tiny 1 oz cups of liquids any way you slice it. We don't have the sense of familiarity with it. 

I think when we're allowed actual food, a sense of normalcy, more nutrients and minerals, and a wider range of available tastes will satisfy some of the "cheating" impulses we feel now. 

E_Saenz
on 8/10/15 11:34 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'm sure I'll be ok my plan is to cook what I can have and it's gonna be good food.  I'm gonna learn how to eat stuff I ilike only a healthy version I'm gonna reinvent my diet to be deliciously healthy I love to cook and create so I'm excited to try new things and reinvent the old to be healthy.  Research make healthy snacks you can have create awesome treats you can have I am not there yet but the surgery had to happen in oreder for you to recapture your life go to pinterest and look up sugar free desert ideas or look up savory snacks see if there is a vgs food ideas board I've been using my crock pot a lot to make food so i dont have to stand at the stove for hours my ole man loves it I plan on making a soup with beef bones and veggies for my post op I want flavorful broth so I'm making soup that way i can store some broth and let my ole man have the rest it'll be easy in the crock pot or even on the stove.  You'll be fine just get in the internet and seek out healthy alternatives just for you.  I'm hoping this helps it's just what I have planned for me if your on full liquids make a butternut squash soup it's delisious.  You just need to explore new ideas that's all.  Good luck my friend

Elia Maria Saenz

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views