Stocking items before surgery

Newchapterbegins
on 9/3/15 9:20 am

am booked for surgery and just wanting helpful hints on what's best to have prestocked for afterwards. I know thst i have a list but from othets whom have been where i am right now its good to have this input as well. What is best to tske to help prevdnt ir have minimal hair loss. Thanks

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/3/15 9:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There's no way to prevent hair loss. Vitamins and fancy shampoo won't do a darn thing, unfortunately.

Things that are good to have on hand:

• Lots of different SF drinks (Mio, Crystal Light, tea, lemon, broth...)
  • Comfy robe or large shirts to wear when you don't want anything rubbing on your incisions
  • Ice and/or heat pack, since your abdomen might be sore
  • Suction-cup shower bar-- I was super wobbly, and this helped me a lot when I tried to shower
  • Teeny plates and cups, especially little 3oz paper bathroom cups to sip water from
  • Gas-X pills
  • A new book or some DVD's if you want entertainment while you're resting
  • Several kinds of protein powder, ideally in single-serve pouches so you don't have to buy lots of tubs that go unused

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jamrodriguez
on 9/3/15 10:06 am

I would add to get some powdered multivitamin to add to your protein drinks. It doesn't taste so great, but it will help you tremendously from feeling weak and frail. I had to be on clear protein for my first week, so I stocked up on the bottled Isopure. Its nice because you don't have to worry about mixing anything. I also got some adult coloring books because I get incredibly fidgety when I have to be laid up.

Good luck on your surgery!

Mrskilmister
on 9/3/15 10:21 am
VSG on 07/31/15 with

Do not spend on over stock just yet.  after surgery your taste buds may change and many things will give you acid reflux.   Just buy 3-4 sugar free Gatorades.   Try to buy protein jello, apple juice and keep your clear shake handy.

Trust me you will not eat hal fof what you have planned.    It happened to me and I have tons of broth that I will never drink bc I hate it and cases of Gatorade that cannot drink because I get acid reflux and sugar free juices that my stomach cannot tolerate.    I am four weeks out and can only eat jello, yogurt, and pudding.  

michele1
on 9/3/15 11:34 am
Revision on 07/07/15

A pillow for the ride home from the hospital. Put it between you and the seatbelt!

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

Donna L.
on 9/3/15 1:12 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I overbought stuff because I was basing it on old consumption.  I think if I did it again, I'd just have enough protein for 1-2 weeks (I was driving after a week) and things I couldn't pick up easily, like a stock of popsicles or poweraid zero, etc.  I also really liked having premade soup, because the broths tasted better than the plain ones (I didn't eat the solids).

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Newchapterbegins
on 9/4/15 3:59 am

Thanks for the tips. It's an exciting time knowing my life is soon to be taking a change for the better but also a very nervous time with the unknown.  It's nice to find a place where everyone understands what u r going thru. 

gracie88
on 9/4/15 4:16 am
RNY on 08/26/15

I just wanted to say sugar free popcicles were my savior. I also used the broth from soup instead of regular broth it tasted much better. I would heat the soup as if I were going to eat it and then strained it once warm. I also got a case of bottled water, I found it easier to track my water that way but a water bottle with measure markings would work as well. 

Seminar Sept 2014 - 221

First 6 month weigh in - November 2013 - 220

Surgery Day 8/26/15 - 199

Current Weight (9/1/16) 128.0  RNY  5' 2"

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views