Weight gain paranoia

Amy M.
on 10/14/15 7:20 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I've somehow convinced myself that I'm gaining weight. I look in the mirror and my hips look bigger and my stomach looks bigger and pretty much everything looks bigger.

But I weigh myself every day and the scale always fluctuates the same 2-3 pound yo-yo (I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day but this is what my paranoia has done to me). I'm not losing any weight and haven't in months but I know I'm close to goal and the weight loss will be slower. My body has gone into maintenance. And I was fine with that, I had a fun summer and let myself enjoy my new health and happiness and with that I indulged now and then. So I didn't freak out when the scale stopped going down.

So I'm not gaining weight and not losing weight. My clothes aren't feeling any tighter and yet when I look at myself I'm convinced I'm getting bigger.

Has anyone else farther along experienced this?

klv2355
on 10/14/15 9:26 pm
VSG on 12/01/14

I am 15lbs away from my goal and I'm stressing too. It's slowing down and I don't know how to fix it. And I'm freaking out about gaining AND not getting to goal. If you learned anything from this please share:).

I am doing this!!! Getting to my goal! 

cappy11448
on 10/15/15 2:06 am

The last few months, my weight loss was 2 or 3 pounds per month. Its normal to slow down near the end, but does it really matter? When you are close to goal, you've already earned the benefits of better energy, and better health. Enjoy your accomplishments. Don't stress on the last few pounds. They'll come off if you stick to the plan.

Congratulations on all you've accomplished already!

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

mmsmom
on 10/15/15 4:33 am - Woburn, MA

Believe it or not, when I stopped obsessing the last few pounds came off and a few more. However, I have recently crept back up to almost my goal weight and that freaks me out. My therapist says weigh yourself weekly during loss and daily during maintenance - I do - and try to reign myself in on the snacks when i put on a pound or two.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Dan1962
on 10/15/15 6:23 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I was less than 10 pounds from goal for most of the summer. I was pretty satisfied with myself honestly. I liked the way I looked and reasoned if I never lost another pound, who cares. The I decided that for my own satisfaction I wanted to hit goal becuase I set out to do and and I was going to. So I track everyhting (never missed a day from the begining) and I printed out what I had been eating and the carbs had crept up, other empty caloris crept up, and exercize dropped off. So I got rrid of the carbs, got my butt in gear and dropped those few pounds in about a month. Currently 2.5 pounds under goal and happpy. My exersizing is limited to walking and hiking and I have to push myself but its worth it. The satisfaction of accomplishing somehting that I set out to do has been great. Good luck.

wyo_sarah
on 10/15/15 8:31 am

I don't have any advice about thinking you are getting fat again when you aren't, but I can tell you I know how you feel. As far as having a tough time with those last few pounds and weighing daily...I weigh daily. I use that information to guide my eating for the next day. If I go up, I think if I drank enough water or if I ate something I shouldn't have and then I make adjustments. There are days when I eat a cookie, or have some pizza, and I use the scale to tell me what to do the next day. But, unlike some, I don't get upset, I just re-evaluate.

if you want to lose the last bit, though, you are going to have to work at it. Make sure you are drinking enough water, not eating many carbs, etc.

Tracy D.
on 10/15/15 8:56 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It could just be your imagination....or it could be a little bit of reality. Hear me out: during the 2nd year of post-op life your remaining fat starts to redistribute and fill in some of the places where you looked "too thin" or gaunt before. Those sharp collarbones don't look so sharp; your cheeks fill out a bit; your stomach might look less flat. For me, my boobs actually filled in a bit - go figure!

Make sure you're eating right and moving and that your clothes are still fitting. Don't kid yourself that this maintenance **** isn't hard because IT IS! And regain is very, very easy. Honestly, I see no problem with weighing every day as long as you don't let the number on the scale dictate your mood or happiness for the day. I weigh myself every single day and always will.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Amy M.
on 10/15/15 5:43 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

That actually makes sense. Thank you that has eased my mind a lot!!!!

hollykim
on 10/15/15 10:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 15, 2015 at 2:20 AM Pacific Time, Amy M. wrote:

I've somehow convinced myself that I'm gaining weight. I look in the mirror and my hips look bigger and my stomach looks bigger and pretty much everything looks bigger.

But I weigh myself every day and the scale always fluctuates the same 2-3 pound yo-yo (I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day but this is what my paranoia has done to me). I'm not losing any weight and haven't in months but I know I'm close to goal and the weight loss will be slower. My body has gone into maintenance. And I was fine with that, I had a fun summer and let myself enjoy my new health and happiness and with that I indulged now and then. So I didn't freak out when the scale stopped going down.

So I'm not gaining weight and not losing weight. My clothes aren't feeling any tighter and yet when I look at myself I'm convinced I'm getting bigger.

Has anyone else farther along experienced this?

you might be suffering from Body Dysmorphia. Are you in therapy? I would recommend it for these feelings

Amy M.
on 10/15/15 5:44 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I am not in therapy but I definitely agree that it's something that I should consider. I was also thinking maybe I'm just so used to seeing myself get smaller and smaller and now that it's stopped I feel like I'm getting bigger due to the fact that I'm no longer getting smaller.. if that makes sense.

I'll look into it though. Thank you for your reply.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views