Travelling with VSG

Kiofish8
on 11/5/15 9:38 pm
VSG on 11/02/15

Has anyobe been able to happily travel with their sleeve? Like I am planning a trip to South Korea next December and I was wondering if eating different foods would be to much to handle? I know its kinda a strange question but I just wanna know if someone has traveled out of the country and was able to eat that countries food?

LS2dv8
on 11/6/15 4:02 am

Wow great question!  I have no clue.  But I normally travel to China once a year I can't wait to see the answer :)  

Thanks for posting and good luck on your trip

LS2DV8

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/15 4:24 am

Great question. The same food rules, protein first etc will expose you to many different spices and cooking styles. I guess you can always look for the least seasoned foods. Good luck, enjoy your trip.

Valerie G.
on 11/6/15 4:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Not a problem at all, just don't fill up on rice.  Stick to meat and veggies.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 11/6/15 6:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Avoid the noodles and rice and you'll be fine.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Daelcare
on 11/6/15 7:43 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

The other thing to keep in mind is planning...make sure you have specific things packed/purchased when you get there that you know you can have.  I just did my first flight since surgery (actually the first one in 14 years) and while it wasn't as long as yours will be, it was a very long day (east coast to Vegas) and had my schedule really out of whack!  I ate less throughout the day because I knew I would want to snack on the plane.  I made sure to have "my" snacks with me so that good choices were not a problem.  We'll see how that all works out when I get back to my scale on Monday!!  Have fun and enjoy the options!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

cappy11448
on 11/6/15 9:05 am

I made my first foreign trip at about one year post-surgery.  I decided to eat on plan until dinner, and let myself splurge for dinner.  I didn't have trouble with any of the foods, though it was Greece and the Middle-east so probably less exotic than your trip.  I came back heavier but it was water weight and came off fast. 

The last trip I took, I threw caution to the wind and gained 12 pounds - 6 of which were real weight and challenging to lose.  We live and learn.

Best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Kiofish8
on 11/6/15 9:39 am, edited 11/6/15 1:40 am
VSG on 11/02/15

Wow ok thank you everyone *****plied! I was kinda really worried about this because I love to travel and not being able to enjoy different foods was a huge worry for me but not anymore so thanks once again!

frisco
on 11/6/15 11:25 am

I've often said.... when asked about this.

I can eat, anywhere, anytime, anyplace !!!

Post VSG:

• Japan about 8 times
  • European Countries about 10 times
  • Mexico twice
  • Caribbean Cruise once
  • USA travel 100 times

The key is to have a strong foundation and knowledge of food, food preparation and nutrition.

The mentality of "I'm on vacation and anything goes" is probably the worst thought you can have for travel. Very similar to dogs and dog treats.

• Protein is protein
  • Veggie is veggie
  • bread is bread
  • noodles are noodles
  • Sweet is sugar
  • Sauce thickness is generally flour or fat

Does this mean I eat on point all the time.... no

Does this mean I know when I'm not eating something proper before it goes into my mouth.... yes

Does this mean it's easy..... no

Does this mean the more you learn and develop good habits it gets easier..... generally Yes

After WL traveling for work or play has been one of the most enjoyable activities for me after living so many years of being miserable on trips.

Eat to travel.... travel to eat !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Kiofish8
on 11/6/15 11:27 am
VSG on 11/02/15

Wow thank you. I'm totally going to take that to heart!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views