Diet confusion- kinda lengthy

msecanales
on 12/3/15 4:50 pm

I am having a difficult time adjusting my diet. I am a few days away from being 6 weeks post op. Total, I have lost 39 lbs. Up until about 1 week ago, I would drink a protein shake for breakfast, feel very satisfied, then eat a small lunch- soup with unflavored protein powder, and for dinner, re fried beans or turkey chili. Sometimes I would finish the day off with a protein shake if I hadn't reached my 60 gm. For a snack I would do half a cup of cottage cheese every once and a while. Now, I drink my protein shake for breakfast and don't really feel satisfied. By 10 am, I am starving! So today, I ate yogurt as a snack. By lunch time, I was so hungry!!! I ate 4 ounces of thinly sliced turkey breast lunch meat. by 2pm, I was really hungry again. So, I ate 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. by 3:30 pm, I was hungry again. So I ate "turkey bites". So far today, I have had 90 gm of protein (which is the most I have ever had. I usually stay around 65-70 gm) and 750 calories. 

What is going on? Is this appetite increase normal? I know I am not to survive off of protein drinks but it just feels really weird not feeling satisfied and almost "starving". I have been drinking my PPI twice a day- nothing has changed there. Again, not sure if the increase in appetite is normal. I am feeling kinda lost. 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

rocky513
on 12/3/15 5:05 pm - WI

You don't say how much fluid you are drinking.  Thirst can mimic hunger.  Remember, 64 ounces in the MINIMUM amount we should be drinking.  Most of us drink well over 100 ounces daily.  Try upping your fluid intake and see if that helps.

It also could be head hunger.  Are you really hungry or are you just wanting to eat.  Figuring out head hunger vs. real hunger is hard.  I eat by the clock ( a very small meal every three or four hours).  I plan my meals daily.  If I feel hungry between planned meals, I ignore it.  Hunger is not an emergency requiring my immediate attention.  I can make myself wait until my next scheduled meal time.  Nothing bad will happen to me if I wait to eat.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

msecanales
on 12/3/15 5:15 pm

Oh yes, didn't mention the water. I have a water bottle that fits 20 oz. I take it to work full and fill it there 2-3 times. Plus, the liquid from protein shakes. I actually drink so much water that I get nauseous thinking of water.. I have to add flavor like crystal light of some type of water enhancement. 

I don't believe it's head hunger. I am a nurse and am always on the go. I don't have time to think about food and "crave" comfort food. Actually, I am thankful that I haven't even wanted to eat and carbs and have easily passed up sweets/candy. I know that hunger is not an emergency but the thing is, I have noticed I get nauseous. I have also gotten a little dizzy which didn't happen before. I just don't feel "satisfied" like before.

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

dudearino
on 12/3/15 5:42 pm

Any chance you are pregnant?  Sorry you story just sounds a little like when my wife first got pregnant.

The Dude Abides

msecanales
on 12/3/15 5:55 pm

Oh man,  sure hope not! I have an IUD in place but I guess there is always a small chance. Sorry if the following is TMI but I have had on and off bleeding which I chalked it up to the weight loss and hormone changes... 

WereYorkie
on 12/4/15 8:05 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

OMG! Someone else follows The Dude!  

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

hollykim
on 12/3/15 6:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 4, 2015 at 12:50 AM Pacific Time, msecanales wrote:

I am having a difficult time adjusting my diet. I am a few days away from being 6 weeks post op. Total, I have lost 39 lbs. Up until about 1 week ago, I would drink a protein shake for breakfast, feel very satisfied, then eat a small lunch- soup with unflavored protein powder, and for dinner, re fried beans or turkey chili. Sometimes I would finish the day off with a protein shake if I hadn't reached my 60 gm. For a snack I would do half a cup of cottage cheese every once and a while. Now, I drink my protein shake for breakfast and don't really feel satisfied. By 10 am, I am starving! So today, I ate yogurt as a snack. By lunch time, I was so hungry!!! I ate 4 ounces of thinly sliced turkey breast lunch meat. by 2pm, I was really hungry again. So, I ate 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. by 3:30 pm, I was hungry again. So I ate "turkey bites". So far today, I have had 90 gm of protein (which is the most I have ever had. I usually stay around 65-70 gm) and 750 calories. 

What is going on? Is this appetite increase normal? I know I am not to survive off of protein drinks but it just feels really weird not feeling satisfied and almost "starving". I have been drinking my PPI twice a day- nothing has changed there. Again, not sure if the increase in appetite is normal. I am feeling kinda lost. 

what you said you ate today was just 6.  Small meals. I often eat every 2-3 hours,protein meals. Most of the foods you are choosing are slider foods,chili,yogurt lunch meat. They don't stay with you long. 

At 6 weeks out,you should be able to eat real meat,dense protein like chicken,steak,seafood,eggs. Etc.  real meat will keep you full and satiated much longer.

msecanales
on 12/3/15 6:45 pm

Thank you for this. I do see what you mean. I guess it's time to start cooking.. which is going to be different for me because prior to my surgery, I ate a very traditional mexican diet. Rice, fried meats, fried tortillas, tacos.. This is scary for me. This is a WHOLE new style of cooking and I don't even know where to start...

hollykim
on 12/3/15 7:52 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 4, 2015 at 2:45 AM Pacific Time, msecanales wrote:

Thank you for this. I do see what you mean. I guess it's time to start cooking.. which is going to be different for me because prior to my surgery, I ate a very traditional mexican diet. Rice, fried meats, fried tortillas, tacos.. This is scary for me. This is a WHOLE new style of cooking and I don't even know where to start...

start with what you know. Make the. Meat and some lettuce to toes and a little cheese like for tacos but don't have the taco shell. Grill beef chicken and seafood instead of frying. There are many crovkpot meals for meat that are often a life saver for many. Google " low carb crock  meat recipes".

th ere are many good web sites for low carb cooking,which is essentially what you want. One is WWW.theworldccordingtoeggface.com. Another is WWW.bariatricfoodie.com.

ubserved
on 12/3/15 8:57 pm

You might had a buildup of stomach acid which will mimic hunger, take your prilosec or whatever acid reducer your doctor prescribed. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views