3 months in and feeling...hungry?

jennabee13
on 1/21/16 8:31 pm

I'm really trying not to stress and I'm trying hard to listen to my body. I am 3 months post-op sleeve procedure and down 52 pounds. In the last 2 weeks or so I have started feeling really hungry. I thought maybe this was just a natural progression but at the same time felt 3 months in was still kinda early. Diet is still the same. Protein heavy with a small amount of veggies or fruits if I have room. Not consuming starchy/carby foods like rice or bread. I tried to fill the hunger pangs with more water, but that didn't help. Until recently I've been hitting my goal of 800 calories a day, but about a week ago I needed to add another 100 calories or so to feel satisfied. The added calories aren't crap food, I'm still making smart choices, but my weight loss has slowed. I was consistently losing 3 pounds a week. Last week was only a pound and a half. I'm about 13 pounds from my doctor's expectation of losing 10 BMI points, but about 23 pounds from my personal goal. Did you guys go through this just a few months post-op too? Any advice or even just reassurance would be appreciated. Thanks!

poplargreys
on 1/21/16 8:39 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

Are you taking a PPI? Sometimes the signals we interpret as 'hunger' are actually caused by excess acid, and 3 months post-op is when I had to switch PPI's because the original one my doc prescribed was not keeping my acid production in check. Once we figured out the PPI that worked for me, the false 'hunger' signals went away.

jennabee13
on 1/21/16 8:41 pm

Interesting. I really never thought of it because I correlate excess acid with pain. I'm not on a PPI. An avenue to explore. Thank you!

SDenae
on 1/22/16 7:12 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

For me, the way I feel excess acid has totally changed since surgery. It used to be a burning sensation that felt like it climbed up my chest. Now, it's more like a stomach pain, which feels a lot like hunger used to feel.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/16 11:06 pm

I would like to know if you start feeling hungry within an hour of eating. That is what happened to me (farther out, but still very much as you describe). I was treated for a mild or pre ulcer condition first. That didn't work. Then the doc switched my PPI to Protonix and presto! my symptoms were gone in 24 hours.

I have since learned that high acid production produces the same type of growling, empty feelings that indicate true hunger. I honestly felt that I was hungry soon after eating. It was maddening! 

You might try an over the counter PPI (Prilosec) and see if that helps. If it does, call your surgeon and ask for a scribe for a good PPI. 

You will find the answer. Trust in that. Until you do, try not to add calories. You will put yourself into maintenance to soon and it's hard to reset once you do that. If you need to eat, go for SF popcicles, herbal teas, SF jello - the lowest calorie options possible. 

Best of luck! 

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/22/16 7:15 am - MI

Like the others suggested or commented on it sounds like acid. I'm over a year and the hunger still hasn't returned. If I forget to take my PPI I seem to notice some hunger creeping in. Good luck to you.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

hollykim
on 1/22/16 4:53 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 22, 2016 at 4:31 AM Pacific Time, jennabee13 wrote:

I'm really trying not to stress and I'm trying hard to listen to my body. I am 3 months post-op sleeve procedure and down 52 pounds. In the last 2 weeks or so I have started feeling really hungry. I thought maybe this was just a natural progression but at the same time felt 3 months in was still kinda early. Diet is still the same. Protein heavy with a small amount of veggies or fruits if I have room. Not consuming starchy/carby foods like rice or bread. I tried to fill the hunger pangs with more water, but that didn't help. Until recently I've been hitting my goal of 800 calories a day, but about a week ago I needed to add another 100 calories or so to feel satisfied. The added calories aren't crap food, I'm still making smart choices, but my weight loss has slowed. I was consistently losing 3 pounds a week. Last week was only a pound and a half. I'm about 13 pounds from my doctor's expectation of losing 10 BMI points, but about 23 pounds from my personal goal. Did you guys go through this just a few months post-op too? Any advice or even just reassurance would be appreciated. Thanks!

I agree with possibly acid. It often doesnt present any pain symptoms,just hunger and sometimes nausea. 

Dehydration can also mimic hunger. Are you getting 64+ oz of liquid a day?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views