Not losing

kyzze
on 1/22/16 11:42 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Hi All

I had my VSG on 12/29 and I am not really losing anything. Since the surgery I have lost 4 pounds and that is it. I toggle back and forth between 182 and 183lbs. Here are the things that I have been doing: I have not been weighing and measuring my food but I am still on soft diet and I don't ever finish any of what I eat. My diet right now consist of refried beans, eggs with cheese, baked potato, sugar free pudding and jello, and I just start eating cottage cheese and greek yogurt oh and I have soup and I will also eat a little chicken, like a chicken wing without the skin on occasion, oh and protein shakes. I try to get all of my fluid in but that is hard for me. I have not had anything bad. No sweets at all or bread. I havent't really excercised much but I am trying to change that. I don't know if I should be really worried or not, but I am starting to get bummed out about it. I go to talk to the nutritionist on 1/29. I just hope that I am doing everything right and I have not messed up my sleeve somehow.

ocean4dlm
on 1/23/16 2:21 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

It is critical that you weigh and measure your food. I use My Fitness Pal to log everything, including vitamins. My NUT appreciated being able to click through that information (I'd pull it up on my Surface on her office) as we made adjustments to my plan. You can do this !

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

kyzze
on 1/23/16 2:25 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Thanks. I have the fitness pal app. I will be better about using it.

White Dove
on 1/23/16 2:24 am - Warren, OH

It sounds like not weighing and measuring food is keeping you from knowing what amounts will get you into weight loss mode. 

Weight loss is caused by eating less calories than you burn.  What you are eating now seems to be enough to maintain and not small enough amounts to lose.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 1/23/16 4:51 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Weigh and log your food. Every single bite. It is the ONLY thing that keeps me honest.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/16 6:09 am

Replace the refried beans and baked potato (carbs) with protein. Sounds like a lot of carbs for so soon after surgery. ALso as others have said measure and weigh and keep on drinking tha****er. Good luck.

JudithJohnson
on 1/23/16 6:20 am
VSG on 12/03/15

You're eating an awful lot of carbs so soon after the surgery. I would replace the baked potatoes and refried beans with dense protein such as chicken or fish. When i was on soft foods I only had really thin instant mashed potatos and only one little spoon after I had eaten my protein.

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

psychoticparrot
on 1/23/16 8:22 am

My surgeon allows his patients to be on soft foods for only one week for the very reason that you're having problems now. Soft foods, especially carbs, slide right through the sleeve. This is a good thing for a sleeve that's still healing, but it can be bad if you're eating a lot of carbs. I often wonder if the soft-food stage is the reason for the notorious "three-week stall." 

Once you start on solid foods (mostly protein), your weight will come off faster (assuming of course, that you "stick to the Code.")

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Marquismark
on 1/23/16 1:33 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Yes, less carbs and more protein.  But if that doesn't work, ask for a barium swallow x-ray.  It is possible that your sleeve is too large.  Mine was.  I was re-sleeved with the DS and have been losing weight like crazy ever since.  Good luck!

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

Donna L.
on 1/23/16 3:59 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

For soft foods I ate a lot of cottage cheese, baked ricotta with sauce, pureed/finely minced meat with broth to moisten, low sugar yogurt, tuna salad, egg salad, tilapia and salmon.  Soup can be pretty calorie and carb laden depending... it depends what kind of soup it is.  I like making soup with chicken thighs and better than bullion broth, with just a few diced veg in for color (barely any veg really).  You can puree it more for soft foods.

Weighing and measuring is key to figuring out how many calories you eat, though.  Even with a very low carb diet you will gain with excess calories, especially with a higher carb diet.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics