Drinking from a straw

kyzze
on 4/23/16 4:21 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

I went to McDonald and bought a large unsweetened iced tea and started drinking from the straw. I drank half of it before I realized what I was doing. Did I mess anything up? I feel okay.

Kyzze

Bufflehead
on 4/23/16 4:44 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I was never given restrictions about straws. In fact a few hours after my surgery the hospital orderly brought me a tray of a bunch of different drinks with straws in them. I drank from them with no problem.

Donna L.
on 4/23/16 5:09 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had a straw restriction, but several months out I was told its fine for me to use.  No discomfort here, and I tend to drink way more, too, when using one.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

seabexlose
on 4/23/16 5:45 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I woke up in the recovery room with a bottle of water with a straw sitting in it, so it seems like its a surgeon's preference.  Also, the debate seems to be about whether or not it would cause excess gas, so I don't think you could possibly mess anything up, you might just have some gas pain.

Cathy W.
on 4/23/16 6:01 pm

Read the article written by Dr. Shadle on Drinking Through a Straw After WLS for information that will help!  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

kyzze
on 4/24/16 5:36 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Thanks for the info!

Renren
on 4/24/16 10:37 am
VSG on 12/02/15

The first few days after surgery I couldn't have drank from a strew because of the tiny sips I had to take, but after that it was fine. I actually take in more fluids each day when I use straws. My surgeon also said it was fine to use one as long as it doesn't bother me. I can relate to doing stuff without thinking. I was having lunch and I usually push my water glass so that I don't drink it during my meal. I was eating and talking to my husband and took a BIG gulp of water, pre surgery size big 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/25/16 9:48 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I have the very skeptical view point on the straw thing.  I think a lot of docs tell us "crazy" things because it happened once, or something or other.  If you drink like a hot mess from a straw then don't do that.  But if you put the straw in the liquid and drink like a normal person like I do then I can't tell any amount of difference than if I drank from a cup.  No additional burps or anything.  

I find this to be along the same lines of the don't drink carbonation issue.  I was told that after my lap band and yet I asked the doc during the same visit about if I needed to worry about playing sports and getting hit in that port or stomach area... he said if your hit hard enough to move that band then you won't be worrying about the band at all.  But the carbonation bubbles might move it!?!  So I obviously took no issue with drinking carbonation.  Now the band was replaced this year and still the doc says do not drink carbonation it might stretch out your small stomach, yet in the same visit says rarely are weight gain issues due to a pouch stretch because it's very unlikely you will be able to stretch out the pouch due to the way it's cut.

Read as much as you want on the topic but go back to your real mind and see if any of it makes sense and then do what you need to for yourself. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 97 views