Just Beginning my VSG Journey

prettisleeve
on 6/3/16 7:32 am

Hello everyone!!! 

I just went for my 1st consult June 1st and I'm super excited to start this VSG journey. I do not have a surgery date just yet. I have a few appointments before it will be submitted to my insurance company. I plan on having everything submitted to my my insurance company by mid July! I would love to get to know some people who are just starting this journey or who has been thru this already and has some great tips and suggestions!!

Kris R.
on 6/3/16 7:58 am - Walworth, NY

Welcome and we're glad you're here.  There is a ton of information on this board and lots of smart people to help you through this.  I know for me, it took 6 months from my consult to my surgery date, which for upstate NY is pretty typical.  A lot of insurance companies require different tests and weight loss requirements and some don't.  You might want to get ahead of the game and find out what is required for the insurance to cover yours.  Best of luck in your journey!!

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

prettisleeve
on 6/3/16 8:38 am

Thank you so much Kris!! Luckily my insurance does not require alot. In the past when I went in for a consult they required ALOT!! thankfully this time they only require blood-work,psych appt, nutrition appt and EGD! I have already scheduled all of my appts so I am extremely excited about that! 

Pretty Girls Rock!!

jdysapp
on 6/5/16 3:15 pm
VSG on 06/01/16

I just had my surgery 6/1 so I'm 4 days post op. While I'm uncomfortable from the incisions I only needed pain meds & nausea meds for first few days.  I was surprised that I didn't have all the gas I anticipated initially but it came later in day 1 post op.  I have had some pain in my left shoulder but was told that was because of gas.  I also had a hernia repair at same time as VSG.  I'm just listening to my body and right now my limit is 1/4 cup of liquids and struggling to get in my fluids.  My surgery was done in Miami FL

ARP55
on 6/7/16 11:01 am
VSG on 06/07/16

Hello

i also had VGS on June 1. I am tolerating fluids without any issues and even caught myself gulping. I'm scared I am over drinking even though I am in clear liquid phase. 

I moved around too much yesterday and now I am moving very slowly. Worse than I was post op day 3. 

favoritebaby
on 6/4/16 7:49 pm

Hi,

I began my 'journey' in April.  I had my initial visit with the surgeon and I met with the nutritionist.  I've also had my blood work taken care of.  My insurance requires that I see a nutritionist for 6 consecutive months.  As I reside 30 miles from the surgery center, I recently learned that I can have some of my nutritionist visits with my primary care physician in my city, as long as the doctor documents our discussion regarding weight loss, nutrition, etc. and forwards the reports to the surgery coordinator.    I also need to have testing done with a radiologist.  

I am so confused about the insurance payment.  What my insurance company states does not coincide with what the coordinator says.  I imagine it will be January 2017 before I have the surgery.

S

cappy11448
on 6/3/16 9:54 am

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find it as supportive and informative as I have.

I had my sleeve 3 years ago, and I'm maintaining at a normal BMI.  I love my sleeve and I'm so happy I decided to have the surgery. 

It was not an easy process, but it was always manageable.  You can lose all the weight you want if you stick to your program and follow the rules.  That being said, the surgery is only a tool.  You have to make it work for you.  But as a person who got to 385 pounds, I have been able to succeed with the sleeve where I could never do it before surgery. 

I wish you the best in your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

prettisleeve
on 6/3/16 11:28 am

Thank you Carol! I'm super excited about the surgery. I'm doing a ton of research on my own and I am really ready to change my life. I love all the positive feedback I have been receiving. 

Pretty Girls Rock!!

Dee R.
on 6/3/16 12:23 pm - CA

Welcome!!  Good Luck to you on your journey.  This is the BEST place to get help with any questions.  Everyone here is always quite helpful. 

jesuiscrystal
on 6/4/16 11:29 am - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

I just got my insurance approval this week, and my surgery is set for July 12th. I couldn't believe how fast it has gone by. I started the process at the end of March. I know some people who've had to wait a year or longer for their surgery, so I am excited to get going. Hope all goes smoothly for you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views