WHAT HAVE I DONE?

ahuntersbride
on 6/7/16 9:32 am
VSG on 05/26/16

here I am 12th day post op, and I am miserable... already stalled (3days now). I have yet to get 64 ounces of liquid in my body in 1 day and 90g protein seems impossible too. I lost 25# including my preop diet and as long as I was losing I felt like it was worth it... now, I am wondering what I have done to myself. I keep hearing that this will pass, and I try to believe that but right now I am so emotional that I cant see the light at the end of the tunnel through all of these tears. I am at a point where I dont want my children or my husband around... I am sick of seeing them eat whatever the hell they want while I sip on friggin broth, or my shake or whatever liquid I am working on pushing through me. they didnt do this to me... I did... i did this to myself from start to finish, I ate until I was obese and couldnt do anything about it and then I had surgery to help me fix it. Its all me and still I can hardly stand to look at them. someone please tell me that I am not the only one that feels like such a basket case here!

luvmypuggies
on 6/7/16 9:52 am

You're SO not alone!! Many people go through similar feelings, so be assured that it's normal. :)  Not fun, but normal. 

That soon after surgery, there was no way I was getting in 90g protein.  Focus on water, and the protein will get easier the further out you are.  Sip sip sip all day long, try different temperatures, different flavors (I added a splash of apple juice when I couldn't choke down more plain water), etc.  It does get easier, but you're only 12 days out so don't expect too much from tummy quite yet.  

Also, my understanding is that many folks are super-emotional after surgery because the fat cells are giving up and releasing a bunch of hormones (ie estrogen, etc), which can wreak havoc on your moods.  I don't know all the science about this, but I'm sure you can search this board and find details.

Hang in there!  You'll feel much better soon.  This is a long journey, but it is worth it in so many ways. Be patient, be strong, and use this board for support whenever you need to.  Good luck! :)

mmsmom
on 6/7/16 9:53 am - Woburn, MA

First of all, you are not in a stall - 3 days does not constitute a stall...You probably still have swelling.  my therapist recommends weighing yourself only 1x a week during weight loss and daily in maintenance - it's a good idea or else you are going to make yourself crazy with the scale.  If you can't stay off the scale, keep an old fashioned pen and notebook near the scale and write down your weight weekly.  You will be surprised by your results.  I had weeks when I didn't think I was losing and I had, in fact, a good loss.  Secondly,  there is no turning back, so try to be positive.  Don't worry about your protein at this point, just sip your liquids and don't get dehydrated.  Eventually you will be able to get more in.   You will get through this - you have no other option - and the results will be worth it.  You can do it! 

VSG on 04/28/2014

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/7/16 11:06 am - MI

Take a breath!! I'm sorry your miserable. Some people go thru this. You're not alone. I would focus on being hydrated and water! Sip, sip, sip, sip! Stick with your plan, get your water in and keep at it! I guarantee a month from now you'll feel differently! Good luck! You can do this!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

JTMGPW
on 6/7/16 11:09 am

You are NOT alone! I was a basket case for a week there, particularly since I was pms'ing ;P. You get hormone dumping, but it DOES get better! Ask your husband and kids to go eat elsewhere or just remove yourself until you feel comfortable. I had a really hard time with it until I felt more lonely being holed up in my room. I finally came out and hung out nearby but still not at the table. Eventually I started having my soups at the table with everyone and felt better being with my family despite not being able to eat. I think it's a huge mental hurdle to be around food and not react to it. I had to remind myself why I'm doing all this and my end goals. Just keep reminding yourself why you want to get healthy and keep visualizing yourself at your goal. It really will help you find the motivation to not react to it all. I hope you start feeling better!!!

Kelly L.
on 6/7/16 4:05 am

This is the roughest time!   It's hard being around others while they eat when you are so limited, I know.   It will get easier when you get to your next stage of eating.   The lbs will continue to come off.   Yes, as someone said, there are hormones being released during this time that causes your feelings to become out of whack too.   Be good to yourself, reward yourself with things, get a manicure, pedicure.  Buy non-food things like a cute top to make yourself feel pretty.  Hang in there, it will all be worth it!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/7/16 11:35 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Sorry going thru a rough patch. Whenever I have thoughts like that, I remind myself I better make the most of my situation because there is no undo button from what is done

That being said, while doing your liquid stage I found I REALLY appreciated/enjoyed broth.. Chicken or beef, either really

I bought some Isopure unflavored protein powder (can get a tub at GNC) and would mix 1/2 scoop in ~8oz of prewarmed broth and stir in with a fork. This got me some tasty liquid + around 14g of protein. 

You must have protein in order to lose. 90g is a lot, esp for a woman. I've heard women are 60-80, men are 80-100

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

cappy11448
on 6/7/16 12:39 pm

I am so sorry you are feeling  bad.  The surgery can cause a lot of hormones to flow thru your body, and it can cause moodiness.  So try to be gentle with yourself, and tell yourself its just hormones.  it'll pass.

Obesity is a disease.  Its not your fault that you couldn't control your weight.  Its really not your fault.  Weight loss surgery is a treatment for obesity which makes it easier to control.  Its not a cure, and it will take determination, but with a little effort you can lose all the weight you want to. 

Yes, the recovery process is no picnic.  Its a hard road.  But it will be so worth it when you can buy clothes off the racks at normal stores, and can get around better. 

So hang in there.  Its going to be worth it in the end.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

mylastchance
on 6/7/16 1:12 pm

WHAT DO YOU MEAN ..."WHAT HAVE I DONE".... You're going to realize soon that you have done the best thing you could have done for yourself!!!  Take a moment and.....remember all the reasons you wanted to do this.  You're hearing it will pass....yes it will and it will pass much faster if you just relax and not think about what you have done and look at all the things you will be able to do.  It's going to be okay and you'll be fine and glad you did this.  If not you can hit me....LOL....if you can find me that is.

Wishing you the best!!

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

White Dove
on 6/7/16 2:07 pm - Warren, OH

Surgery is just a tool to make weight loss easier.  It does not make weight loss faster.  Most people take between six months to a year to lose the first 100 pounds. 

You have done something that will give you a tool to help with losing and maintaining for the rest of your life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views