2 years post-op....getting off track! HELP!!!

Loser2014
on 6/8/16 8:40 am

Hello all,

After staying between 160 - 165 lbs for over a year, 3-4 months ago, I started going back to my old habits.  The scariest part is the old thought process where I keep telling myself, "Oh, I can't gain all the weight back!" or "Let can stop overeating if I want!" or "I will start on Monday!"  As a result, I weighed in at 173 this morning.  I know I have to go back to the basics.  Here is where I am starting:

• Drinking tons of water
  • Tracking everything I eat
  • Protein first and no liquids with food

I do want to add that my restriction is still pretty good.  I just overeat to the point of making my sleeve hurt.  So disgusted with myself. 

Any other startegies that have worked for all of you that have slipped up and managed to get back on track?  How do I tame down the carb and sugar monster?  PLEASE HELP!!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 8:50 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Think its great you're addressing it now and not further down the road. Good job for you :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

White Dove
on 6/8/16 8:58 am - Warren, OH

The only two things that work for me is weighing daily and counting calories. 

You tame the carbs and sugar by not eating them.  You will never stop liking them.

Get a kitchen scale and weigh all of your portions before entering into My Fitness Pal.  To stay at 160-165 pounds you need 1600-1650 calories a day.  To stay at 173 you need 1730 calories a day.

To lose a pound a week, eliminate 500 calories a day.  I have tried everything else and only cutting calories has resulted in weight loss for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Theduffman27
on 6/8/16 12:35 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

^^^ This - I introduced carbs on vacation in April and felt that I could reel myself in. It was like I had woke the carb Monster. I weigh my food and track daily. All great advice.

cappy11448
on 6/8/16 9:54 am

I sure can relate to this.  Maintenance takes diligence.  It would be so easy to slip into old habits.  I just spent 3 months losing the 5 pounds I gained on vacation last winter!  That's because I got pulled off track so often.

Whenever I tell myself that "I can start the diet tomorrow",  or "start the diet on Monday,"  I know I'm headed for trouble.

Its great that you are standing up for yourself now rather than waiting until its more of an issue. 

When I want to get back on track, I start by cooking several healthy tasty foods so I always have good things to eat to help me resist the unhealthy food.  So I'll make crack slaw, chicken and broccoli casseroles, chicken in spicy peanut sauce, broccoli slaw, etc.  It really helps to have tasty, healthy food. 

I also weigh and measure and track my foods.  I also have to cut out the carbs.  I keep my carbs to 25g per day.  This means all my carbs come from dairy and healthy, low carb veggies.  I think the only way to do it is to white-knuckle-it for the first few days.  Then it gets much easier. 

Best of luck.  You can do this! 

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Luvmygs
on 6/8/16 9:54 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I also weigh all my food and I REALLY try not to over eat my SLEEVE. Its good that you're focusing on getting back on track. I know how easy it is to slip away. My nutritionist has me only counting carbs, not so worried about calories. I'm staying under 40 grams of carbs daily. What really helps me to stay on track is preparing all my meals the night before for the next day. I carry a lunch bag where ever I go on the weekends so I'm not caught hungry. Good luck and I'm sure you'll lost those extra pounds.

Kelly L.
on 6/8/16 10:37 am

Coming here for support is the best thing you can do, so you're headed in the right direction now.   Sounds like you already have a plan, which is good.   You didn't let it get too out of control before you said whoa, what am I doing.   Kudo's for that.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views