One week out, husband told nosy/loudmouth neighbor

Kelly L.
on 6/11/16 5:24 pm

Sorry to hear this, how very frustrating!   What's done is done now.   Don't take their questions as being nosy,they may just be interested in you.   You'll be losing weight and they will see the results.

happyteacher
on 6/11/16 7:36 pm

I didn't tell anyone at work due to concerns over discrimination, and only told a few close friends and family. I can tell you for sure though that once the big numbers start to come off, people will ask. At work I had 2 people ask me outright, and a gazillion ask about how I was losing and how much. Prepare for this. I also have cancer and made it very clear at work I didn't want to talk about it. I found that a simple, "I don't really want to talk about it" in a gentle voice always worked. Of course, with cancer people usually are either relieved to change the subject or instantly respect that. When I was asked about the weight loss, I had a few phrases that I used-

I am losing weight from a combination of diet, exercise, medicinal/medical interventions. Since the blabblermouth knows already and if they follow up I would revert to the I don't really want to talk about it option. At work if pushed, I would then simply clarify that depending on what time period I look at one factor or the other had a greater influence throughout the months. Of course in my case, the attributed it to cancer many times. That was part of it, but the surgery obviously was a lot of it. It just isn't any of their business and with my bosshole I have to deal with at work, I just can't afford to be very open unfortunately.

Just politely hold your ground and let them know you don't really want to talk about it. If they are rude, then I might be a tad bit snarkier or turn it around and ask them to talk about their weight. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 12:15 pm
On June 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM Pacific Time, Naomi S. wrote:

I'm one-week post-op, and through this entire process, I've kept the fact that I was going to have WLS private. I can literally count on my fingers the people who know, and that includes my surgeon!  It's not that I'm embarrassed that I've had WLS, it's more that I'm a private person and don't think it's anyone's business to know. 

Until my husband got home from work yesterday. The first thing out of his mouth was, "I told Jim (our neighbor) about your surgery today."  WHAT?  When I asked my husband why he did that, he said the neighbor asked if I had a surgery so he told him all about it. Apparently my husband confused somebody "asking" with a "need to know."

I am so disappointed with my husband right now. This neighbor is known for being a blabber mouth. I'm sure that our entire block either knows already (half of them sit outside together boozing it up every night) or will know today at a graduation party.  

Obviously there's no way to take this information back, so how do I respond to people who ask me about it?  I want to make it clear that I really don't consider it anyone's business, but without being *****y about it.  The snarky person in me wants to put it back on my husband - tell people that I'm not really comfortable talking about it, but my husband will tell them everything they want to know.

Advice?

TIA,

Naomi

You know what?  It does not matter.  They would have figured it out anyway.  Eating tiny quantities, shrinking like a chocolate bar in the desert sun they know.  People are not stupid, they know.

It is your business and not theirs but reality is, they KNOW.  I'd rather they talk to me about it vs. behind my back.  Either way they are going to talk.  I'd rather have them on my side.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/12/16 2:27 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You should divorce him. It's really the best thing for everyone.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 6/12/16 3:50 pm

Missed having your around there for a bit Grim, good to have you back! To other posters that might be newer- stalk this guy. He is hysterical! 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

NANNY13
on 6/12/16 4:00 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

LOL! Grim - you are so funny!

Laura in Texas
on 6/12/16 6:51 pm

I agree!! How dare she stay married to an honest man!! Liars make the best husbands. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 6/12/16 7:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I know, right?

Lots of things I have never, ever answered honestly. Like, "Does my ass look fat in these pants?" 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Naomi S.
on 6/12/16 7:59 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. This whole situation reminds me of when I was pregnant with my children (triplets).  EVERYONE wanted to know how they were conceived. The best response I had was similar to the advice Anita gave me here: asking the person why they ask.

I found then that there were people who were going through infertility and wanted to know about treatment options, and I was willing to tell them everything about my experience, but it also forced those who were merely curious to admit they didn't have a good reason for asking. I suspect the same will be true in this situation.  

I haven't been on this forum much, but I truly appreciate the support and advice here. Thank you. 

Naomi

KansasPrincess
on 6/13/16 5:28 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

I was very open w/ everyone bc ive struggled with it weight issues for sooooo long. I was almost 30 when I had surgery... you will be surprised how many people will support your decision. there will always be the one that has to make the snark remarks. if it were me just be open w/ them IF they ask.

HEIGHT 5'6" HW: 422.7 CW: 267.8 SURGERY DATE: 10/15/15 GW:160-170 VSG IN TIJUANA MEXICO WITH DR. JAIME PONCE DE LEON- REVISION TO RNY WITH DR. J. STEPHEN SCOTT, KS. 10/16/18

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views