Anyone else in my position?

Caribear84
on 6/12/16 6:47 pm

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have just started the process of fulfilling my insurance requirements (dr. supervised weight loss plan, NUT visits) I know I need to discuss this with my surgeon, but I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation. I am a fitness instructor (lol, right?) and I teach fitness classes four days a week. The intensity ranges from aquatics classes for seniors, all the way up to Aqua Zumba. I am concerned about how my recovery will affect my ability to teach classes early on. I know I will have to be out for at least 4 weeks, but I am thinking I will have to take more like 6 weeks for the AZ class and my dance fitness classes. I am worried that I will not have enough energy or be able to stay hydrated through those more demanding classes.

Do you have a very physical job, and if so, how has your recovery affected your job performance?

KansasPrincess
on 6/13/16 5:18 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

I think your biggest dilemma will be the pool water. I was told to stay out of a pool for at least 6 weeks. I had my surgery in mid October though.. so not a big deal for me as it was already getting cold here in KS in October and the pools close labor day! perfect timing. I was out walking 2 blocks a day, a few times a day. about 4 days after surgery after surgery. your energy will suck. but it will build back up . I was back to work in 3 weeks. I work in an office on a phone all day. energy by the time I came back was almost fully restored. and if you are like me.. I was so bored at home I was ready to be back to work and around people... good luck. I was sleeved 10/15/15 as of yesterday morning I'm down (including7.5 week pre op) 120.7 pounds...

HEIGHT 5'6" HW: 422.7 CW: 267.8 SURGERY DATE: 10/15/15 GW:160-170 VSG IN TIJUANA MEXICO WITH DR. JAIME PONCE DE LEON- REVISION TO RNY WITH DR. J. STEPHEN SCOTT, KS. 10/16/18

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/13/16 7:27 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I am a few days shy of 3 weeks and am getting around fine now. After about a week and a half post op I was able to walk without pain from my incisions and such.

Like the person above me, I was told to stay out of water for 6 weeks. However, I believe most instructors teach their aquatics classes from the edge of the pool rather than in so you'd be ok. Just will be super muggy for ya!

You have to remember you'll be on limited liquids (getting them all in early on can be tough on some days) and depending on your NUT and your plan, you may be on liquids for a month. They all vary... So being so undernourished and little water, you'll get exhausted pretty quickly. 

I helped my wife with dremeling our dogs nails (doodle and a great dane) and my larger incision was uncomfortable from the bending over last night. Its still a little pissed off, so I cannot really imagine doing any intense movements at this point.

How I feel now compared to a week ago, 4 weeks may not be that crazy. But again, my surgeon group said nothing other than walking and minimal bending etc for 4-6 weeks.

I'd check with your surgeon group see what they say?

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views