Super Confused now

cici123
on 7/2/16 8:47 am

Is there anyway that you can meet with or talk to a physician from a couple other practices just to get their insights and talk to other people within the practice where you are right now.   There is nothing wrong with second opinions.

mmsmom
on 6/28/16 4:11 am - Woburn, MA

I would stick to your guns - I'm surprised they didn't try to sell you on a gastric bypass - if only I had $1 for every time i heard it is the "gold standard."  With any surgery you need to be highly motivated and determined.  Many with any kind of wls only get to 50-60% because it's at that point that you look great and start getting diet fatigue.  Once you go into maintenance, it's tough to start losing again - not because you can't lose, but because it's hard to go back to eating that much less (it doesn't take alot of food to maintain your weight).  Basically, in my opinion, success is all up to you and the surgery is just a very helpful tool.  Also, I know I could never maintain without the surgery.  Have I mentioned how much I LOVE the sleeve?  LOL

VSG on 04/28/2014

cindysu514
on 6/28/16 5:13 am

I interviewed 3 surgeons before I decided I was happy and felt safe and comfortable with one.  The surgeon that I was finally happy with spent at least an hour with me and my boyfriend in his office talking, explaining and answering questions.  The first two surgeons that I saw, I just didn't have that good solid gut feeling, I don't like when they send others in to talk to you, the guy whos doing the actual surgery on you should be spending some time with you and discussing ALL of your procedure options.  This is just my opionion.  I haven't had the surgery yet, but the first guy I saw wanted to do the re-rout he was dead set on it. I was NOT dead set on it and I knew it in my heart.  I saw another one and he kept sending his assistants in also, I wasn't happy with that.  The third one I found, I investigated him, he has a 0 infection rate and he was the chief surgeon at st. Vincent st. marys bariatric hospital in Cleveland where bariatric surgery began.  he sat down with me, for quite awhile and we both came to the conclusion that the sleeve was best for me.  he knows I like to take aspirins and u cant do that with the rou n Y (however you spell it).  also I get upper respiratory infections that sometimes require steroids to get better, the sleeve is best for that also.  I wanted to have the surgery a few years ago, but was not happy with the doctors I was meeting until this one.  YOU interview them, they don't interview YOU! be happy, feel safe with what you have decided even if that means you have to look around! I will be having my surgery by October.  Best of luck to you! let me know what happens!

cindysu514
on 6/28/16 5:16 am

oh wow, I had to add this....I just saw your in my area!!!!!!!! and you have Dan Adrian, he was one of the doctors that I was NOT comfortable with!

Since your in my area....I am going to Dr. Ben Meir he is in Willoughby hills.  I live in akron, and it is an hour drive, but sooooo worth it!!!

cappy11448
on 6/28/16 6:16 am

Hi Laura,

I had a BMI of 60, and I was able to lose 225 pounds with my sleeve. getting to a normal BMI.  I don't understand why they would recommend the DS for you as a BMI of 47 isn't that high! (by my standards)

It is my understanding that there are a lot more issues/considerations with the DS.  If it were me, I'd start with the sleeve and then if I needed more later, they can add the intestinal part of the DS to the sleeve.  But I suspect you can do it with the sleeve.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

happyteacher
on 6/28/16 6:28 am

I am calling bull**** I had a bmi of 44 when I started and had absolutely no problem getting to a normal bmi. We have a lot of folks here that pull off over 200 pounds as well. Not that I am slamming the DS, it is a very powerful surgery. Personally, the vitamin malabsorption would be a problem for me due to being so forgetful with my supplements. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Laura in Texas
on 6/28/16 6:48 am

I agree with Frisco. Doctor skill varies so much with the sleeve. Some doctors get great results, others not so much. Get a second opinion (and 3rd if needed).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/28/16 7:16 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You have to choose the surgery that you'd be able to live with for life, that's very important. I started out much heavier than you & have lost most of my weight.

I chose the VSG & am very happy with my choice, but I do think you have to be more on top of what you're eating calorie wise cuz you'll probably have to restrict more with the vsg since there's no malabsorption, but it's much easier with a sleeved stomach than a full one, & carbs will always have to be carefully monitored cuz it's absorbed all the time.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/28/16 8:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Statistically speaking, patients with the DS lose more weight than those with the VSG. Does that mean you can't be successful with the sleeve? Not at all.

You will have to take vitamins for the rest of your life with any of the three surgeries. It's not a big deal-- pop a couple of them before bedtime when you brush your teeth. DS is no different from VSG or RNY in that regard.

My experience, completely anecdotally: I'm 5'5", started at 285lb, and maintained at 150 before I got pregnant. I was able to start lots of cycling by the time I hit 200lb (10+ miles per ride), and while I had an easier time as I lost more weight, I could absolutely get out and walk and hike even after losing 50lb.

This is your body and your decision, since you're the one who will live with it. You are absolutely entitled to a second opinion; if you're not comfortable with the idea of a DS, that's OK. Whatever surgery you have, it's your job to work with it and follow your post-op guidelines (no fancy pie charts or lists needed).

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/28/16 11:56 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My BMI was over 70  and my surgeon gave me the choice of the VSG or RNY.  The DS wasn't an option because he doesn't perform that particular surgery.  I opted for the sleeve and am happy with my decision.

If I were you (and this is just my opinion), I would not opt for the DS.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views